Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Collapse probably won't happen Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Moderator: Pops

Re: Collapse probably won't happen Pt. 2

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:30:08

In fact if I am not mistaken mosquitoes are threatening different types of disease outbreaks besides the Zika.
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JimBof » Mon 25 Jan 2016, 13:15:02

onlooker wrote:In fact if I am not mistaken mosquitoes are threatening different types of disease outbreaks besides the Zika.

Very true. Last year I had Ross River Fever - Fortunately a mild attack. My Wife has had Ross River Fever and Barmah Forest Virus. They will not kill you but you might wish they had. Mosquitoes are a competent vector. I will try not to get bitten when I am over there in a few months.
JimBof
Coal
Coal

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 25 Jan 2016, 13:59:12

Not to mention Lime disease from what I have read a very nasty disease.
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 27 Dec 2016, 17:48:36

I think it is naive to think that collapse is unlikely to happen because of how oversensitive and overly fragile our socio-economic systems are. In fact, I would be highly surprised if collapse doesn't happen sooner or latter (in fact, it is already happen in certain countries. It is just that certain developed nations like the USA, Canada and Japan haven't felt it yet). Western Europe is already feeling the first signs of collapse as refugees from the Middle East overwhelm their borders. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. Famine, electrical grid shortages and when trucks stop delivering their shipments to retailers is not to far away.

In order for our highly-complex and inter-connected society to function, there must be many interdependent systems working together in almost perfect synchrony. All of these systems depend on a plethora of resources to be maintained. Even if one of these resources is in short supply, the whole system may collapse because of Liebig's Law of the Minimum, which states that "a complex system requires certain inputs to function, and even if one of these inputs were to be missing, the system cannot function anymore". Our society has become so dependent on certain technologies that without them, our society will quickly grind to a halt and collapse. And these technologies cannot function if even one of the natural resources necessary to manufacture or maintain them is no longer present in sufficient quantities.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Tue 27 Dec 2016, 21:58:22

Desu, the current chaos in the the Middle East (Syria, Libya, Egypt) was sparked by the runup and plateau of $100 oil.

The press wanted to romanticize the rebellion as the 'Arab Spring' Now we'd like to demonize the same as 'terrorism' and 'Isis' (or is it 'Isil'? I forget). It's all the slow grind down. So yes the troubles in the ME will come to Europe. If we are lucky (and the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts stay nasty) then the troubles in Central America and Southern Mexico will not come here to the US
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 28 Dec 2016, 01:32:50

Yes, Desu both in terms of the vitality of the Earth and what it can provide for us, we are degrading those crucial services and resources. What is more we are in the process of permanently damaging the balance and synergy of Earth's biosphere that allows current living beings to exist on Earth.
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:47:58

pstarr wrote:Desu, the current chaos in the the Middle East (Syria, Libya, Egypt) was sparked by the runup and plateau of $100 oil.

The press wanted to romanticize the rebellion as the 'Arab Spring' Now we'd like to demonize the same as 'terrorism' and 'Isis' (or is it 'Isil'? I forget). It's all the slow grind down. So yes the troubles in the ME will come to Europe. If we are lucky (and the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts stay nasty) then the troubles in Central America and Southern Mexico will not come here to the US

I was just watching a Frontline documentary and they had a guy who started in Gambia and went all the way across the Sahara in the back of a truck and took a boat to Europe. I don't think deserts are the barrier they once were. The Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts are crossed by all sorts of roads nowadays.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion