Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Collapse of the auto industry

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Collapse of the auto industry

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 15:34:26

ROCKMAN wrote:A minor correction: 1 barrel = 42 gallons.

And for bonus points: why is it "bbl" and not "bl"?

Wikipedia to the rescue...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)#Definitions_and_units
The abbreviations Mbbl and MMbbl refer to one thousand and one million barrels, respectively. These are derived from the Latin "mille" meaning "thousand". This is different from the SI convention where "M" stands for the Greek "mega", meaning "million". Outside of the oil industry, the unit Mbbl (megabarrel) can sometimes stand for one million barrels. The "b" may have been doubled originally to indicate the plural (1 bl, 2 bbl), or possibly it was doubled to eliminate any confusion with bl as a symbol for the bale.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 20:42:41

toolpush wrote:
I don't think you can even get a Tesla over there.

I saw my first Tesla about two weeks ago, so they must be available, but not many on the road. Yet to see a Leaf, or any other electric cars. Sydney taxis are changing over to Camry Hybrids, so the are plenty of them.

Almost got run over by a Tesla S model at the local Sonic just last night. Suburbia is overrun by the cheaper versions, multiple Leaf's in the neighborhood, the Volts do a confab in the school parking lot to discuss how green they are on slower mornings, and I've been passed by the things doing 80mph across Wyoming. My guess is, they weren't local, but just being used like a normal car when cross country road tripping.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Zarquon » Sun 19 Jun 2016, 20:59:00

"Gasoline Consumption (per capita) by state", National Priorities Project Database, 2001

And I'd say yes, they seem to have skipped a decimal or two.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby tita » Mon 20 Jun 2016, 02:49:05

ROCKMAN wrote:pusher - They can by all the Teslas they want in CA and it won't change a thing nationally: the per capita gasoline consumption there is already the lowest in the nation. In fact it is only 10% of the national weighted average.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_ga ... per-capita

Notice how a number of New England states are 10X or more higher then CA. Even the NY consumption is 7X greater. And it of course Texas is more then 11X higher.

Wrong statistics. All states below NY have some errors. From a 2014 statistic of EIA, ranking states from "per capita expenditure of motor gasoline", we see that the highest (ND, 2'240 $/cap) is less than 2.5 times the lowest (NY, 967 $/cap). California is at 1'423 $/cap.

Juste converted to barrels, that makes 14.91 bbl/cap for Wyoming, 11.41 bbl/cap for Texas, 9.051 bbl/cap for California and 6.49 bbl/cap for NY which is way below average of 10.68 bbl/cap. The highest consume 2.14 times the lowest.

source: https://www.eia.gov/state/seds/data.cfm ... tml&sid=US
tita
Coal
Coal

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance