Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Chris Martenson's Crash Course

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Chris Martenson's Crash Course

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 08:51:02

The whole set is still on YouTube for free so I am rewatching them. Still pretty credible even four years later.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 10:15:52

Except for the part that his predictions of a crash didn't happen.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Antaris » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 12:28:47

Give it time Cog, give it time.
People just have no patience these days.
Antaris
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 14:34:17

Subjectivist wrote:The whole set is still on YouTube for free so I am rewatching them. Still pretty credible even four years later.

Certain species, under certain conditions, might think so.

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 16:23:16

I read through Martenson series back in 2009. He predicted the crash was imminent. We had a recession but no crash. Now nine years later I'm supposed to believe that "this time is different" Naw I don't think so.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 11:55:40

Martenson's ideas about a "crash" were almost spot on. We only avoided a serious global depression because no one foresaw the lengths global financial powers and governments would go to in order to prop up the system. His ideas have merit and are well thought out. No one is going to get the timeline perfect. As was mentioned above...give it time...the math will always win. The U.S. cannot continue its path of financial idiocy forever without consequences. History alone teaches us that.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 12:09:28

AirlinePilot wrote:Martenson's ideas about a "crash" were almost spot on.

Except for the crash part. And the peak oil part.

But man I'll bet you he now makes a pretty penny selling website subscriptions telling you how to prosper in the NEXT coming crash (or the 3 that have occurred since the last recession that we all didn't notice). So good for him, even if he doesn't know squat about oil, he was able to turn it to his financial advantage by taking advantage of the legions of gullible doomers!

airlinepilot wrote:We only avoided a serious global depression because no one foresaw the lengths global financial powers and governments would go to in order to prop up the system. His ideas have merit and are well thought out. No one is going to get the timeline perfect. As was mentioned above...give it time...the math will always win. The U.S. cannot continue its path of financial idiocy forever without consequences. History alone teaches us that.

Has been for centuries. Only folks like Chris think they have cornered the market on prognostication, or maybe he doesn't think that, and just has a business model to sell the idea to the fools who aren't familiar with the "Harold Camping routine" as some might label it. Ruppert and Savinar tried it, Chris appears to be succeeding, Heinberg is trying it out as well, as is Kunstler, I'm not so sure they have the model locked down yet to make them as much as they'd like. PCI is begging for cash in their newsletter, and Jim seems a bit disenchanted with trying to get rich off cute writing always predicting an end that doesn't come. I suppose when your business model requires only those who combine both gullibility, ignorance and the attention span of a goldfish all in the same person, once you collect the peak oilers still sitting in the pews of the old church, the market just doesn't have many others who hit on all those cylinders.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 14:01:32

pstarr wrote:who is the better capitalist? Martenson.

Fear sells. Martenson works on the same level as Peter Schiff. Claim that you know where to stash your money because financial doom awaits.

Given that conflict of interest, however, should we accept Martenson's opinions at face value on the future? No. He has a vested interest in doomsaying.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 21:49:09

asg70 wrote:
pstarr wrote:who is the better capitalist? Martenson.

Fear sells. Martenson works on the same level as Peter Schiff. Claim that you know where to stash your money because financial doom awaits.

I went back and ran through his Classic version Chapter 17a, and found him talking about the Jeffrey Brown and the ELM, and how Mexico would no longer be able to export oil by 2011. In 2012 they were exporting like 2.5 million barrels a day, according to the EIA.

Yeah, Martenson does the crash course using real information and knows what he is talking about. Makes someone wonder though, how clueless is the market segment he is aiming for to be duped by this stuff?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 00:47:52

pstarr wrote:You and AdamB are catching up to my post count

Our post count would go down quite a bit if we didn't have to play whack-a-mole with the likes of you.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Sat 21 Apr 2018, 16:22:43

Very good.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Zarquon » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 02:08:14

asg70 wrote:Fear sells. Martenson works on the same level as Peter Schiff. Claim that you know where to stash your money because financial doom awaits.

Given that conflict of interest, however, should we accept Martenson's opinions at face value on the future? No. He has a vested interest in doomsaying.

I'm slightly confused. Why is it that every single doomer/prepper/home schooling site out there is trying to sell you gold, and every goldbug is selling you doom? Is it a law you have over there?
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 02:52:13

Zarquon wrote:
I'm slightly confused. Why is it that every single doomer/prepper/home schooling site out there is trying to sell you gold, and every goldbug is selling you doom? Is it a law you have over there?

Part of capitalist systems.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 10:00:06

Ive read it took 50 trillion dollars by Federal banks to stop the 2008 crash (bailouts, buyouts, TARP ETC). And now currently, debt has nearly doubled from the federal level to the corporate level. This next crises will be 2008 on steroids and the FED is out of ammo. Print-print-print is their only option. Goold and silver to the moon. Silver at $14.00 is the buy IMO.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zarquon » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 13:09:57

Armageddon wrote:Ive read it took 50 trillion dollars by Federal banks to stop the 2008 crash (bailouts, buyouts, TARP ETC). And now currently, debt has nearly doubled from the federal level to the corporate level. This next crises will be 2008 on steroids and the FED is out of ammo. Print-print-print is their only option. Goold and silver to the moon. Silver at $14.00 is the buy IMO.

50 trillion dollars: I think you're off by a few zeroes since the entire dollar supply today is only 14 trillion:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-sta ... -supply-m2
"Money Supply M2 in the United States increased to 14147.30 USD Billion in July from 14112.30 USD Billion in June of 2018. Money Supply M2 in the United States averaged 3947.91 USD Billion from 1959 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 14147.30 USD Billion in July of 2018 and a record low of 286.60 USD Billion in January of 1959."

Or see the Fed charts:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2

And the debt doubling: the dollar supply has almost doubled since the crash. Therefore, debt must have doubled, too.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Armageddon » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 15:44:02

Here’s 21 trillion not even counted for

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikoff/ ... 55a9f84a73
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance