Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CA Drought Emergency Declared Pt 5

Re: CA Drought Emergency Declared Pt 5

Unread postby yportne » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 12:40:24

Local history, 1928 St Francis Dam disaster. A more recent flood involving the same valley destroyed part of the Santa Paula Airport. http://www.newsweek.com/2016/04/22/st-f ... 45915.html
Last edited by yportne on Mon 13 Feb 2017, 13:21:48, edited 1 time in total.
yportne
Coal
Coal

Unread postby drwater » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 13:16:48

Wow - quite a scare. The inflow seemed to be much higher than they had expected. We (Northern California) have gotten several really warm storms this winter with snow levels up at over 8,000 feet elevation, which used to be very rare for January - February. I think the rain on snow generated a lot more meltwater than they were expecting. We will see what the next storms do, which are also supposed to start out as warm storms. They are not supposed to drop as much rainfall as the previous ones, though.
drwater
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Cog » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 14:03:30

No heads need roll. Governor Moonbeam can just blame it on Trump and the evil Republicans for ignoring climate change. The media will fully embrace this news and the lack of engineering a proper dam will be forgotten about in one news cycle. Meanwhile Governor Moonbeam will request federal funds to fix all of this.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 14:38:25

"I don't know where the blame lies"

Hmmm, I wonder which party has made "Never Raise Taxes On Anyone For Anything" their motto for the last few decades??
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 16:30:58

dohboi wrote:"I don't know where the blame lies"

Hmmm, I wonder which party has made "Never Raise Taxes On Anyone For Anything" their motto for the last few decades??

So, we're going along, propping up our financial system by neglecting environmental and infrastructure issues. Sounds like Peak something or other. Peak common sense certainly. Republicans were in charge at that time all around, at the federal and state level. We are going to see more of this very soon as Trump starts rolling back his infrastructure plans and falls back on Trickle-down, Voodoo economics.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 05:56:52

To re-focus on drought:
...very different from the five previous years.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 16:19:23

KaiserJeep wrote:To re-focus on drought:

And very different from the dire warnings of the GW-peakers.

I recollect I offered two-to-one odds on a $1000 debt that the Great California Drought would be over by March. Another huge storm heading for Northern and Southern California. To late for you fence sitters :-D :P
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby yportne » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 20:16:03

We are promised a big rain beginning Friday. We need it. Many of the Ventura area reservoirs are still way below normal. And one might wonder - Is Southern CA destined to eventually lose some of its Northern California water?
-- I am sure that we will have flash flood warnings this weekend, especially in the burn areas.
yportne
Coal
Coal

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:42:09

pstarr wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:To re-focus on drought:

And very different from the dire warnings of the GW-peakers.

I recollect I offered two-to-one odds on a $1000 debt that the Great California Drought would be over by March. Another huge storm heading for Northern and Southern California. To late for you fence sitters :-D :P

Below is a link to the annual storage graphs for Shasta Lake going back to 1990. This is probably representative of how most northern California reservoir storage levels have fluctuated. Note the drought and wet cycles. The past 10 years, we've had two multi-year drought cycles with a single 3-year wet cycle in between. We are currently have a very-wet year, but if the recent-past cycles are an ongoing trend, this wet cycle will be short and we'll have another drought by 2020.

Compounding the cyclical drought problem is that this wet year has essentially "broken" Oroville dam and reservoir, the state's second largest water storage reservoir at 3.5 million acre-feet. Until permanent solutions are both engineered and constructed for the primary and auxiliary spillway failures, to ensure proper flood control, the reservoir levels will have be kept very low and not allowed to get anywhere near the primary flood-control spillway gates at 50 feet below the top. But the top 50 feet of the reservoir is where about 30% of its storage lies. That is about 1 million acre feet. Gone - likely for several years. I can guarantee you that 180,000 local evacuees (the extended family of my daughter-in-law being among them) will not tolerate the reservoir being re-filled again to normal levels until every, every, every detail is sweated, tested, re-tested, and re-tested again. The wheels of government move slowly. This will take time. We may not be in-drought by all kinds of measurements, but this summer, Lake Oroville will be short 1 million acre feet AGAIN come summer, and perhaps for several years. To those who depend on its water, the drought will continue unabated.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlo ... =10000&coo
hvacman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 13:01:13

Try this hvac: Image
(right click mouse button to select the entire image)

We have greater storage, earlier in the rain season, than any time since cdec has been tracking the data.

I have been calling this drought over since the rainy season broke on Oct. 8. Because I understand he media (grew up the newspaper industry) and its doughboys in any corrupt government. They just like drumming up hysterical BS. Keeps the funding and ad revenues higher and higher
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 13:40:23

Pete, the image is a broken link.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 13:56:08

It still doesn't work, there is no image, only the symbol for an image, nothing to select.

KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 14:01:45

just do this:

to to STORAGE at the top of the chart. (The STORAGE link is also a chart header)

-- at the bottom, type in '3000' in the 'span' box. Select 'get custom plot'

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 14:35:13

Sorry, I didn't check my link. Try this attachment: 10,000 days of Shasta Lake storage. As pete noted, you may need to use the scroll bars to see it all.

I
Attachments
shasta lake storage 10000 days.png
shasta lake storage 10000 days.png (72.98 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
hvacman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 16 Feb 2017, 14:36:42

Doh, you had the foresight to not accept my wager. Smart guy/gal :)

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 20 Feb 2017, 20:25:23

California is now experiencing its worst storm yet — with the potential to reshape its history.

https://psmag.com/california-braces-for ... 38774515e8

Don Pedro Controlled Spillway Gate has been opened.
#DonPedroSpill
First time since 1997.
(Back then, the water from the spillway caused flooding in Modesto.)
Brief video at the link: https://twitter.com/turlockid/status/833818231894794244

"Yes, that's a waterfall behind the house. Anderson dam spillway in full force now."

https://mobile.twitter.com/lenramirez/s ... 3190505472

(Thanks to sigmetnow at neven's site for these links and text)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 13:09:50

Any flooding happening in California - in So Cal, the SF Bay area, or the Great Central Valley, is "historic" only in that it is history repeating itself.

Flooding in the Central Valley is part of California’s natural history. In fact, California’s two great valleys, the Sacramento and San Joaquin, were once underwater.

“It was a much larger version of San Francisco Bay,” said Mitchel Russo, chief of river forecasting for the California Department of Water Resources. “The only reason we’re standing on it is because we are standing on thousands of centuries of sediment that’s been brought down from the Sierras.”

In his book “Battling the Inland Sea: Floods, Public Policy, and the Sacramento Valley,” historian Robert Kelley describes 19th century winter rains annually creating a 100-mile-long inland sea, blanketing the center line of the Sacramento Valley, which only slowly drained into river channels and through the delta before waters coursed out of San Francisco Bay.

The U.S. Geological Survey has warned that a repeat of the great 1862 flood would overwhelm California’s flood protection system and cause floodwaters in the Central Valley 300 miles long and over 20 miles wide.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

Basically, California's Central Valley is like a mega-sized New Orleans - it's not a question of if nature will ever revert it back to a lake - but when.
hvacman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 21:06:26

Well, a San Jose neighborhood is underwater because it was built on a 100-year flood plain, but most people forgot that fact and so, 50,000 people are without a home right now. A bridge is falling south of Big Sur and so Highway 1 is cut off. I love camping there and I think this bridge is on the south side of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, so mostly a bridge to just scenic views, but it is still a major failure. Between sea level rise and Atmospheric Rivers, the bridge didn't have a chance, I suppose.

Still, we'll take the water any time.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 22 Feb 2017, 22:58:48

jedrider wrote:Well, a San Jose neighborhood is underwater because it was built on a 100-year flood plain, but most people forgot that fact and so, 50,000 people are without a home right now.

We have much more rain here in far far Northern California, and we have flooding on many many flood plains. I guess the further north you go in this state, the smarter the folks get? We don't build homes on flood plains, just pasture grass-fed beef all year round :) 8)

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 23 Feb 2017, 11:32:21

http://mashable.com/2017/02/22/californ ... xNn2XJi5qa

Rivers in the sky: Why California is flooding

It's hard to believe that after five years of record drought, many Californians are hoping that this winter's weekly deluges will come to a swift conclusion. The latest storm, which struck over the weekend and ended on Tuesday, has forced thousands to evacuate, including urban residents in San Jose, as floodwaters continue to rise and levees are strained.

This winter demonstrates how too much of a good thing — in this case, rain and mountain snow — can lead to severe problems.

This is increasingly important, since human-caused global warming is already causing both ends of the weather extremes spectrum — too little water and too much — to occur more frequently and with greater intensity....
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment