Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CA Drought Emergency Declared Pt 5

Re: CA Drought Emergency Declared Pt 5

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 20 Nov 2016, 20:13:13

Yeah, well at least California won't give you wheat belly like Montana.
California raises organic fruits and vegetables and tofu.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby careinke » Mon 21 Nov 2016, 22:03:04

pstarr wrote:That is not all Sub
California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on ...

All told, the state’s farms earned almost $45 billion in 2012, the last year for which statistics are available – that’s more than 11% of the nation’s total. The biggest winners include milk, which earned $6.9 billion; grapes ($4.5 billion); almonds ($4.3 billion); strawberries ($1.9 billion); lettuce ($1.5 billion); walnuts ($1.3 billion); and tomatoes ($1.2 billion).

You'd better give us the respect we deserve or you won't get dinner :x

I get all of that stuff from my yard, so you can keep it to feed the poor in your own state. :)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Fission
Fission

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 15:24:11

Pstar puts a tree every 6-8 feet.

Thinning Live Trees. Healthy Forest.
The problem fire protection officials face is that not only does green vegetation burn, the forest is overstocked — 100 to 200 trees per acre, where a healthy forest has 40 to 60 trees per acre.

These are redwoods you're talking about. No wonder they burn.

4 to 6 feet is a hedge.
kuidaskassikaeb
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Tue 22 Nov 2016, 18:01:03

Dude, how many healthy forests have you been in?

Sorry but 6-8 feet came from a timberland management site. I was talking about Doug Fir in moist forests, 1,452 trees per acre not Redwoods. Following is for loblolly pines in texas, dry areas

Five planting densities of 870, 725, 620, 540, and 484 trees per acre (tpa) representing spacings of 510, 610, 710, 810, and 910 ft, respectively, were investigated.

My point above is that 100 million trees die in a single forest fire. And so the die-off during the drought was no big deal. So stay out of my business, unless you have something interesting to say.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Mon 28 Nov 2016, 15:02:19

Well I manage my forests for 90 basal feet per acre. Which is 90 14 inch trees per acre, which will still make poles (straight trees) in the under-story. The plantations you refer too are heavily thinned as they grow, and and you said 6X5 not 6X8, which nobody ever uses for a planting density anyway, cause trees cost money.

A realistic number of trees, and they probably do only count canopy trees, is 100 trees per acre 60,000 trees per square mile. 100million trees is 1600 square miles, or half the trees in 3200 square miles. And why fire is a different issue from drought only you know.
kuidaskassikaeb
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 28 Nov 2016, 15:17:28

Kub, perhaps you are correct for your bioregion. I know that around here in wet Doug Fir forests 2nd and 3rd growth forests are quite dense, even more so than the replanting figures I quoted from Ca. forest service. But yes, 1600 sq. miles of forests is a sad loss. However it represents only a small fraction of the state, 163,696 sq. miles. Another issue is how much of the dieback was also a consequence of other human abuse like over-harvesting, soil erosion and weakened trees?

But I am glad you resurrected this thread. It's raining like a mofo here again. The entire state from Tijuana border to Oregon is SOAKED. Again.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 13:36:28

fromhttp://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/A-hair-raising-flight-over-California-s-dying-9127084.php

I copied this handy map from an article. Pstar is correct that the dead trees only occupy a percent of California's area, but it all looks worse in red. I notice the numbers are in the 10-30 per acre. Anyway that part of the forest is pretty clearly in trouble.
kuidaskassikaeb
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 15:56:29

But only about 17% of the state is forested, so that's a loss of about 6% of the forest, right?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 16:58:03

Soaked to the bone here in not-so-sunny california.

Where are the gamblers? My bet is still on the table. No takers yet? The original terms (from long ago) will need revision, as the next Drought Monitor is due out and then the odds disappear. You have to spend money to make money

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby ritter » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 16:27:17

pstarr wrote:Soaked to the bone here in not-so-sunny california.

Where are the gamblers? My bet is still on the table. No takers yet? The original terms (from long ago) will need revision, as the next Drought Monitor is due out and then the odds disappear. You have to spend money to make money

Jesus, pstarr. Humboldt County is not the entirety of California. High and dry south of your boarder...

We're getting a good start to the season way down here in the Bay Area, but we need several years of above average precipitation (and a snow pack that lasts well into summer) to break the drought.
ritter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 16:38:46

"While Downtown San Francisco received about 1.43 inches of rain between Oct. 1 and Nov. 27 in 2015, this year the city has recorded 4.48 inches in the same time period—that's 115 percent of normal.

The city is off to its wettest start in the water year since 2010, when 4.91 inches of rain had fallen in October and November, according to National Weather Service meteorologist Brian Mejia. "

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Pops » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 16:44:46

Due east of San Fran in the Sierra we are ahead of normal by a little @9", we actually touched the amounts of the wettest year ('82) a couple of times, don't expect that will continue

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/prod ... OT_FSI.pdf
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby ritter » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 16:47:13

pstarr wrote:"While Downtown San Francisco received about 1.43 inches of rain between Oct. 1 and Nov. 27 in 2015, this year the city has recorded 4.48 inches in the same time period—that's 115 percent of normal.

The city is off to its wettest start in the water year since 2010, when 4.91 inches of rain had fallen in October and November, according to National Weather Service meteorologist Brian Mejia. "

You're right, pstarr. Absolutely fucking soaked. Sorry to try to bring any reality to your world. Carry on buddy. :-D
ritter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 16:53:07

Pops wrote:Due east of San Fran in the Sierra we are ahead of normal by a little @9", we actually touched the amounts of the wettest year ('82) a couple of times, don't expect that will continue

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/prod ... OT_FSI.pdf

Nice chart. Have an index page for similar charts, for other cdec stations?

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Pops » Fri 02 Dec 2016, 18:03:27

it just came up on a search, maybe Humboldt precipitation
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 16 Dec 2016, 15:29:25

Today's rain in inches. My bet is still open?

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 31 Dec 2016, 14:29:39

With More Rain in the Forecast, L.A.’s Wettest Month in Years Will Continue Through to New Year’s Eve

Bad news here also: 26 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT IN COASTAL CALIFORNIA? :? 8O Forecast for tuesday night. I have to cover and protect the artichokes and citrus :? Things are craxy here. The gloom never ends.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby careinke » Sat 31 Dec 2016, 22:09:04

pstarr wrote:With More Rain in the Forecast, L.A.’s Wettest Month in Years Will Continue Through to New Year’s Eve

Bad news here also: 26 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT IN COASTAL CALIFORNIA? :? 8O Forecast for tuesday night. I have to cover and protect the artichokes and citrus :? Things are craxy here. The gloom never ends.

Don't worry about the artichokes, they can freeze and come back. My chokes last about five years, and I never cover them.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 31 Dec 2016, 23:57:37

So it was supposed to be a weird Pacific Storm, the winds straight from the cold north. Today the forecast changed and now only a low of 33 here. I did a lot to prepare. Was going to cover them and run irrigation all night

Regarding artichokes. It seems they can last forever if you feed and protect them. They just send off new babies and spread around in a circle. I have to plant them in cages, for gophers.

outcaste, you don't want to take me up on my bet. I'll double the odds. You have a few hours?

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 01 Jan 2017, 08:59:43

How's the Sierra snowpack doing? From what I can tell, not all that great with rising temperatures that at best give you mostly a layer of ice on top. Last year there was some decent skiing to be had, and I'm hoping for the same this year.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment