Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Book: "Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet"

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Six Degrees: our future on a hotter planet

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 05:24:26

Six Degrees: our future on a hotter planet

Mark Lynas is, along with George Monbiot and Bill McKibben, the best writer about global warming working today. In Six Degrees, he does something so obvious and so necessary it is hard to believe nobody has done it before. He pores through the peer-reviewed scientific literature and describes, calmly and plainly, what scientists say will happen on earth as each degree of global warming occurs.

And at six degrees - the IPCC's higher-end predictions for this century - humanity enters its endgame. "An entirely new planet comes into being - one unrecognisable from the Earth we know today," Lynas writes. The rainforests are gone, the world's ice supplies are only a memory, the seas are encroaching, and inland cities see temperatures ten degrees higher than today. In the world's major crop-growing areas - India, Australia, the inland United States - most crops are dying, and mass starvation is a perennial risk.

It becomes likely that the vast stores of methane lodged on sub-ocean shelves will bubble to the surface. Since methane is highly flammable, these could quickly be sparked - by lightning, or through human action - into vast fireballs tearing across the sky. The chemical engineer Gregory Ryskin calculates that this methane "could destroy terrestrial life almost entirely", with a major oceanic methane eruption having a force 10,000 times greater than the world's stockpiles of nuclear weapons.

newstatesman
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Six Degrees: our future on a hotter planet

Unread postby eric_b » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 06:10:21

Well.. that paints a lovely picture, doesn't it. :)
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Madpaddy » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 06:23:59

Well,

My wife always said my methane emissions would be the death of me so methane was going to wipe me out anyway.

Farty on.
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gg3 » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 07:18:54

If I'm not mistaken, the present scientific consensus says we're heading for about + 2.4 degrees C, is that right?

And what does the world look like at that point?

And how many more years of inaction would it take to get to a scenario where +5 C is more likely?

Somehow I think that before we get quite that far, other negative feedback systems will kick in, notably disease.

All so humans can drive living rooms, have live circus on their walls, and run around indoors in January wearing nothing but their underwear.

Most of our species frankly deserves it.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Harlequin » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 07:39:18

Bleh, we deserve the blistering soil of the grave, our stupidity is the justification for our death.
Harlequin
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 09:20:00

gg3 wrote:Somehow I think that before we get quite that far, other negative feedback systems will kick in, notably disease.

The flywheel has enormous inertia. It took centuries and the burning of a huge chunk of the world's fossil fuels to get us to this point. In a few years it won't matter what we do or don't do. We may already be at that point as far as even the worst scenarios go.

We become irrelevant. We could ALL die and the world will continue warming.

Especially as the global-dimming factor is unmasked.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Chaparral » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 14:29:11

gg3, this is what James Lovelock has been saying and why I always seem to sound like a broken record saying "if Lovelock is right..blah blah". It has been this perspective with which I've approached our meetings and discussions. I think everyone in the group who can, should be familiar with this scenario.
Last edited by Chaparral on Fri 13 Apr 2007, 03:44:29, edited 1 time in total.
Chaparral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KhanCEO » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 14:47:17

I'm going to laugh if that happens. I know it sounds wrong , however it is too funny that the human race turned the planet into hell on earth by mistake. LOL idiots!

Then again this six degress stuff could all be a hoax to scare people into supporting the carbon tax. :-D
KhanCEO
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ayame » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 15:53:44

Harlequin wrote:our stupidity is the justification for our death.

Amen
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 16:16:42

Jesus will save us. :smile:
vision-master

Unread postby essex » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 18:12:27

Follow the link at the top of this page to a BBC documentary which is getting millions of hits .
http://www.climatescience.org.nz/ [smilie=angryfire.gif]
essex
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 18:54:45

essex wrote:Follow the link at the top of this page to a BBC documentary which is getting millions of hits .

What can I say except if anyone believes that reducing the planet to a six lane freeway to shopping mall land is not tampering with its ecosystem in ways that are frankly akin to playing russian roulette with your children's lives, then I'm absolutely stunned at their depth of denial/stupidity.

Does anyone honestly believe that an americanised Chindia with a population of 3 billion developing this planet's eco-system to "developed world standards", along with the already developed west, is sustainable behaviour within the range of checks and balances that currently holds the present climate range within the limits that exist.

Don't think of this as hysteria...just a wake up call to the not unreasonable view that a variable system with a range within which our narrow life envelope is but one variable is not something to tamper with...any changes are irreversible for this species in terms of the timespans we are speaking of.....and bloody heck, we should be doing all we can to conform our wants to the environmental limitations we are constrained by.

This my friend, is called being vigilant whilst we strive to better ourselves. The other alternative is to blissfully alter the envelope without any restraint.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby eric_b » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 19:05:48

essex wrote:Follow the link at the top of this page to a BBC documentary which is getting millions of hits .

Utter tripe.
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby essex » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 19:23:13

Ah, the perfect defensive tactic of the moron, personal abuse.
essex
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 19:40:07

essex wrote:Ah, the perfect defensive tactic of the moron, personal abuse.

Which one....c'mon be precise in your sweeping remarks.

And assuming I am the moron, where is the moronics in a statement to the effect that we should seek to understand the limits of this planet's eco-sphere as we embark on sweeping development of its surface.

In any event, I have no idea what you're complaining about. I suspect that the "development" logic will prevail despite these contrarian voices.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Commanding_Heights » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 22:32:48

Maybe another doomer mentioned this and I missed it, but isn't it a bit ironic that peak oil may solve the whole global warming problem?

declining availability
wars
famine
disease
die-off

Would a hard crash solve the problem in a very quick way? Or am I missing something and William Stanley Jevons would argue that a die-off (in a sense) would be an increase the efficiency.

Another question I have (and something I'm much uninformed about) is, if we stopped or drastically reduced all emissions tomorrow would/could and how quickly would global warming reverse itself?
Commanding_Heights
Peat
Peat

Unread postby essex » Fri 13 Apr 2007, 02:32:36

americandream wrote:
essex wrote:Ah, the perfect defensive tactic of the moron, personal abuse.

Which one....c'mon be precise in your sweeping remarks.

And assuming I am the moron, where is the moronics in a statement to the effect that we should seek to understand the limits of this planet's eco-sphere as we embark on sweeping development of its surface.

In any event, I have no idea what you're complaining about. I suspect that the "development" logic will prevail despite these contrarian voices.

Actually not you.The world can't sustain development in the way you describe. But to be sure the world will try darn hard to as you and I both obviously live a privileged existence. Grossly over estimated reserves of oil and coal will put paid to that. But what of the poster who dismisses as " utter tripe "an alternative logical and scientific view of the cause of global warming because it doesn't tally with his/ her fashionable hysterical cult religion ?
Just because there is another angle to global warming doesn't make the " sceptic " a denier nor does it mean that he / she spends their weekends clubbing baby seals. There is likely to be a gross misallocation of resources fighting something that can't be changed as it is a natural phenomenon where that money could be better spent improving the environment.
NB I own and manage a small forest block.
essex
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby seldom_seen » Fri 13 Apr 2007, 03:24:02

Commanding_Heights wrote:Maybe another doomer mentioned this and I missed it, but isn't it a bit ironic that peak oil may solve the whole global warming problem?

Peak oil is already, and will continue to make global warming worse. We really 'ain't seen nothing yet' as they say. What remains of the lungs of the planet, our forests, don't stand a chance in a post PO world. At the same time that coal is gonna be a firin! Coal coal coal dirty black sooty carbon coal. Think of the industrial revolution in reverse.

Peak oil and global warming, working in tandem (team players) will be instrumental in solving the overpopulation problem though. :twisted:
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby oowolf » Fri 13 Apr 2007, 17:21:01

Is this book going to be sold only in UK for 6 months, like Lovelock's Revenge of Gaia??? I can't find a US seller.
oowolf
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 17:27:47

It seems that it is possible to buy this book from the UK amazon web site, but you would have to check with your customs to find out how much import duty you would have to pay. There is likely to be a delivery charge too.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews