Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Book: 'Shut Down' by William Flynn

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Book review : Shut Down by William Flynn

Unread postby careinke » Sat 19 May 2012, 13:27:25

Just bought it, since I don't have a kindle, I'll try reading it on my droid. I really need to break down and buy a kindle touch.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 19 May 2012, 13:37:55

I use the kindle app on my laptop. There might be a droid version.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 20 May 2012, 02:30:50

Quinny wrote:I use the kindle app on my laptop. There might be a droid version.

Yes, there's an free 'n easy Android Kindle app.

I read mostly on my HTC EVO phone, plugging along a few minutes here and there during the day. At home I'll use the Kindle device ... the larger screen makes it easier.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Re: Book: 'Shut Down' by William Flynn

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 28 Jun 2012, 19:08:46

Yummy! Couldn't put Buck down. *****

It was like the familiarity with the characters helped in the understanding of the situation's unfolding, or aftermath.

Lots of places to go for Number 3 and boy howdy do I have some suggestions.

Thanks Bill!
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 10 Feb 2013, 09:17:21

http://www.amazon.com/First-Journey-ebook/dp/B00ARJ1NHI

First Journey, the third installment in the Shut Down series, is now published. It's the dead of winter and the survivors of the economic collapse decide to explore the depopulated ruins of Portland, Oregon. Enjoy! :)
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 10 Feb 2013, 14:12:24

eastbay wrote:http://www.amazon.com/First-Journey-ebook/dp/B00ARJ1NHI

First Journey, the third installment in the Shut Down series, is now published. It's the dead of winter and the survivors of the economic collapse decide to explore the depopulated ruins of Portland, Oregon. Enjoy! :)

After two days, I have just finished shovelling an estimated 36 tons of snow (3'x120'x10' @ 20 lbs/cf).

Time to read a book!
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:19:36

Wow, life gets busy sometimes.

Finished #3 yesterday, couldn't put it down until I ran out of pages, just like 1 & 2.

Bill - I enjoyed this installment very much, started out kinda tearjerky but a great finish took care of that.

So many directions to go, I'm thinking serial TV show instead of movie at this point.

Thanks again and here's to CJ!
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:52:59

basil - Wasn't familiar with these. Need to catch up..thanks. Speaking of TV serials have you seen the POD thread and "Under the Dome". Wonder if there will be some parallels with those books.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:13:54

Rock-

I often run into the same topics rehashed here as thinkers leave and new thinkers arrive.

The user "killjoy" extrapolated here years ago that all this PO stuff will be masked by geopolitics; that' kinda what your POD reminds me of.

As far as Stephen King goes, his stuff is great in an "uncomfortable" way, if you know what I mean (Christine, anyone?)

Bill Flynn gets more to the meat of the matter, nuts and bolts, in a way that's familiar to me, perhaps even comfortably.

His third installment answers the question "Now what?" and presents a path towards a future beyond peak everything, possibly distilled from thoughts presented on this very website. For me, it's like knowing the artist of a painting, and how that artist was brought up, to the point where I recognize most of the same symbology even though new thoughts or tactics are being presented from dimensions I never considered. Works for me, 'cept he don't write fast enough, kinda like King's 30-year project (LOL Bill, I'm ready for #4)!
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:10:26

Basil - I also very much dislike “uncomfortable” endings even if they are realistic. Grew up with John Wayne etc., ya know. There are hints that “Under the Dome” may be one of those uncomfortable endings. Flynn may paint a ultimate future that’s not too uncomfortable but I suspect there has to be some very uncomfortable periods along the way. Eventually our real world may develop a sustainable system. But I suspect to get from A to B there will be cumulative misery beyond what the world has seen to date. Just as I describe about that old movie “Lifeboat”. The survivors are rescued and it’s a very happy occasion. But now the captain has to live with the fact that he dumped a number of folks overboard to their certain deaths. Yes…a happy ending…for some of the passengers. But not a comfortable ending for the captain. As mentioned before the “point man” technique is a very good method. For everyone but the point man sometimes. And then there's always that survivor guilt thing that can prove a bit uncomfortable.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 04:37:47

Eastbay (W.Flynn) just popped in for a few words on another thread. I would be nice to hear from him again.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby eastbay » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:21:27

Hey, basil_hayden! You've been reading my mind. Book IV, Stone Warriors, will be released next month. The tentative date of publication is August 29th, but that may change. Yeah, I wish I could write faster. I get emails all the time asking when's the next one. That's what I get for including my email address in the copyright page, but I'm honored and happy each time someone writes me about the books. I respond to them all. But this new book will make four novels in roughly two years, which is a flat-out, crazy screaming pace and about as fast as I'll ever get. Oh, and thank you for the kind reviews on Amazon. They really do make it all worthwhile.

Interestingly, and as you correctly suggested, the situations, elements, fears and hopes found in the Shut Down series was largely borrowed from the earlier days of this very website. However the incredible amount of time consuming research that went into the first book, Shut Down, came from flipping through the immense collection of data found on TOD. I really wish the core members of that website could keep it going, even if it means passing the caretaker keys to others.

ROCCMAN, you're here, too! Did you read the excerpt from chapter three I published a few days ago on Malthusia? I have Stephen King's epic 1,000+ word work, Under the Dome, on my Kindle. I read it on the flights to and back home from Singapore the summer before last, right after Shut Down was published. It's really similar to mine in many ways, but his "Egads!" ending was odd. Good grief. My ending is way less uncomfortable, even comfortable, at least for the survivors, thus the "hope," as stated in the sub-title.

SeaGypsy, I couldn't resist making that comment on one of the TOD threads. :-D I'll try to pop in here more often, more than to just read the news. But I really have been quite busy lately, and this website has been unusually civil, rarely in need of moderating based on the few times I delved deeper. I also just don't feel as though I have that much to add.

Oh, as those of you who know me here might expect, all of my books are written without the handful of words that the FCC has determined to be cussing. And they are safe to be read by readers of any age, in other words, no sex scenes and, with only a few exceptions, the violence is limited, mostly because it simply doesn't occur as often as one might expect, or as often as other writers have led us to expect under very harsh circumstances.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 14:30:47

I think all doomer books, no matter how good, should be written on toilet paper so that it makes a physical contribution to the buyers preparations.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:27:50

SeaGypsy wrote:Eastbay (W.Flynn) just popped in for a few words on another thread. I would be nice to hear from him again.

Oh, and thanks, SeaGypsy! :)
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Narz » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 02:03:03

eastbay wrote:http://www.amazon.com/First-Journey-ebook/dp/B00ARJ1NHI

Wow you are a busy man, I didn't even realize there was a 2nd book. If I wait for #4 can I get a peakoil-pal discount on 2-4? 8)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:49:15

Narz wrote:Wow you are a busy man, I didn't even realize there was a 2nd book. If I wait for #4 can I get a peakoil-pal discount on 2-4? 8)

As usual, yup! Signed, too. A pm is all it takes. "Stone Warriors" should be ready in six weeks, maybe less. The Kindle version will be ready soon thereafter.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 12 Jul 2013, 14:47:31

Eastbay – No. In fact I wasn’t familiar with any of your past work and need to get caught up fast. From the reviews it sounds like can’t-miss stuff.

Been stuck on a well for a week and got back early this morning for a 24 hr break. Out of sync so had to watch the boob tube to fall asleep and stumbled on one of my favorite movies: Three Days of the Condor. I’m sure you’re very familiar. For those very few here who aren’t: In 1975 a rogue CIA unit is killing innocents to cover up a clandestine plot to manipulate ME oil production. The classic justification at the end of the movie: when folks are really hurting they won’t question if the govt should be taking such actions. They’ll just demand that it get done…and spare them the details.

Which touches on many conversations here about how the various economies which respond when the worst aspects of PO kick in. Especially when the Chinese aggressive efforts to tie up future energy reserves are tossed in. I think any predictions would fall into your neck of the woods: all kinds of possible fictions. And while none can be proven until after the fact, I gather your work does a pretty good job of offering reasonable scenarios.

My own totally unsupported-by-facts theory about Egypt today. They may not produce much oil but are a gateway for a lot of ME production to the EU. China wants to build refinery in Egypt that will be the biggest ever for the country. Not much of a problem guessing how the Chinese plan to source the oil for the plant. So now come along a new democratically elected leader with strong ties to a group that could see a great advantage to controlling the transit oil as well as the refined products.

I’ve read for a long time that the Egyptian military has always been the controlling force. I.E. Mubarak was more figure head then leader. Add the well-known fact that as long as the E. military held peace with Israel the US would keep supplying them with materials and money. Given the lack of funds the E. govt has the military might not survive too long without the US backing it. So now comes along a force that might upset that balance. So what does any well armed group do when their existence is threatened by a determined yet relatively unarmed force? Easy answer: crush them by removing their major source of power: Morsi. If this fable has any merit at all how then much tangible negative reaction might one expect from the US and EU? So far I would say we’ve seen exactly what logic would dictate. Lots of negative verbiage while US delivers more fighter jets to the E. military. Well, we do have to keep our promises.

Now extrapolate the Egyptian situation to other countries as the POD reaches its cold icy grip around the globe. Heck…someone ought to write a book…or four. LOL. Or maybe a TV series based on some weird writer's novel.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Narz » Sat 13 Jul 2013, 01:13:32

eastbay wrote:
Narz wrote:Wow you are a busy man, I didn't even realize there was a 2nd book. If I wait for #4 can I get a peakoil-pal discount on 2-4? 8)

As usual, yup! Signed, too. A pm is all it takes. "Stone Warriors" should be ready in six weeks, maybe less.

Feel free to PM me when it's ready & you got my business. :)

eastbay wrote:The Kindle version will be ready soon thereafter.

Won't do me much good after the apocolypse now will it? ;)
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 16 Sep 2013, 20:56:06

I am delighted to announce that Stone Warriors, Awakening a New World was published today. It's the fourth story of the Corbett colony, first introduced in the novel, Shut Down, which has been reviewed and extensively discussed here at po.com.

As usual, anyone who wants a signed copy (or copies, Narz) can pm me or email me at [email protected] for details.

While the Amazon page is under construction, copies can now be ordered from the link below.

I'll make another announcement when the Kindle version is released. It should be ready and on the Amazon page in a few weeks.

I invite you to "like" it on the link. :)

https://www.createspace.com/4276515
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 12:48:45

Merry Christmas!

I'm offering a gift to everyone. The Kindle version of "Shut Down" is available for free today and tomorrow.
Enjoy the ride! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Shut-Down-W-R-Fly ... TF8&sr&qid
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews