Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bail-ins

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Bail-ins

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 09:48:25

onlooker wrote:How nice I suppose they are also assuring everyone "your money will be safe in the stock market". What did Barnum Bailey say "their is a sucker born every minute"

It is "safe" in the stock market, in the sense that if you buy 0.01% of Bob Co; crash or spike in price, you still own 0.01% of Bob Co; and are thus entitled to your portion of the dividend payout from Bob Co.

At any given point in time, that share of Bob Co may be worth more or less dollars, or be exchangeable for more or less loaves of bread. But what it *is*, isn't really altered.

But is your *money* really safe in the way you mean it anywhere? Stick it in a mattress, its $100 today, and $100 in ten years; but is it the same number of loafs of bread? More? Less? Well, the people who might have a say in that have enormous power to make it a LOT less loafs of bread. Even if you're more normal in the head, and have it in an account that draws interest; regular folks don't get paid anywhere near enough interest to keep up with inflation; heck nowdays, even the ultra-wealthy get hosed on what they might try to keep in cash.

So, gold (or other currency substitutes?) Can be regulated at any time, or taxed (more likely) at extremely punitive rates, or simply not recognized at a market value when trying to use it as currency. So again, you might have 1000 loafs worth of gold today, and next year, it only buys 100.

There is no "safe" in the way you mean it.

But there is productive or tangible assets, as Cid listed them. I think his examples are somewhat archaic; few people are in a position to take a 100hp tractor and turn it into income. Land, at least in the US is taxed annually, with only some places having caps on how quickly the amount paid can rise. If a hundred marines in APC's show up at your house to collect the $500,000 US you owe in taxes in the event of hyperinflation, do you have it?

Its why, when push comes to shove, the only thing that looks even vaguely safe to me at least, is a set of diversified equities coupled with accepting that their value expressed in dollars can go up and down; but you only have to pay taxes on gain, when you actively turn one of those into currency, of which the type will be appropriate, and the amount in excess of the tax collected.

Oh.. and anyone that holds bitcoin for more than a micro-second is a moron. Not to mention, I can't see as how the gain in privacy value exceeds an identical loss in privacy as a result of one being elevated on the scrutiny interest meter, simply as a result of using a non-USD for a commercial transaction.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:37:29

More modern examples of tangibles; solar panels, a wind farm, a nice deep water well, top-of-the-line water treatment system, home improvements, new furniture, a yacht, factory automation, hydroponics. Things that are productive, reduce your expenditures, or bring personal enjoyment.

Some of that stuff should already be part of your investment plan, except the luxury items. But who doesn't need a little luxury now and then?

And something a little less tangible, invest in yourself. Education, nautilus equipment, training in useful skills, your health.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 14:32:58

I had my three S's program, Silver, Shotgun and Solar Panels.

By silver I meant any kind of hard money. Gold, silver and even copper bullion. It may hold its value if things get bad.

Shotgun means any way you have of hanging on to things. Any kind of security such as cameras, security systems, etc.

Solar panels include wind, any kind of gardening, forestry or farming you are doing to gather energy yourself.

I still think it's a good way to invest in the future.

The best investment would be to get involved in the community. That will pay off way before any of the above.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics