Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Arab Countries Openly Discuss Peak Oil for the First Time

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Arab Countries Openly Discuss Peak Oil for the First Tim

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 14:52:30

onlooker wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-23/saudi-arabia-2-trillion-aramco-vision-runs-into-market-reality
Haha sounds like a true fantasy. Their main field Ghawar is on its last legs, the age of fossil fuels seems to be sputtering and grinding to a halt and that is supposed to generate investment income ? And the kicker "enough investment income at home and abroad to dominate state revenue by 2030 " 2030 really

I recommend you review the information on Ghawar before pretending it is on its last legs. Not the peak oil circular logic information, but the real stuff. Ghawar was claimed to be dead nearly 15 years ago by peak oilers...I'm guessing unless they just play kick the can every year for the rest of their lives they'll never get that one right.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 20:18:43

well my sources say that the water cut is so bad now that they are practically pumping water
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 25 Feb 2017, 20:35:26

onlooker wrote:well my sources say that the water cut is so bad now that they are practically pumping water

Obviously you aren't familiar with economic oil production from fields with significant water cut issues, as compared to Ghawar.

http://petrowiki.org/Wilmington_field

Water cuts of 96% don't stop industry folks from producing oil, and Ghawar isn't there, so explain to us why your sources are getting their panties in a wad?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby sparky » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 01:40:46

one of the post , long time ago by an oilman , mentioned that the Ghawar water cut was above 50% when it started producing
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 11:17:30

sparky wrote:.
one of the post , long time ago by an oilman , mentioned that the Ghawar water cut was above 50% when it started producing

When it started producing? Well...good thing it has produced 60+ billion barrels since then, continues to produce millions of barrels a day now, and it hasn't apparently mattered. And, as demonstrated by Wilmington, might be able to get to 96% water cut, and still might not matter.

Water cut is relevant to the economic calculation of oil/gas production, the number all by itself is just the type of breathless noise that the likes of Simmons once focused on. Which is why those who knew better didn't pay attention to his nonsense when he was alive, or any accountant on matters of reservoir dynamics, let alone the project economics of a particular oil field's development.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby sparky » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 21:09:46

Aramco started water flooding in the early1970ies , they were using the local aquifer
the locals got very irate and complained to the governor of the eastern province then a top Utaibah tribesman
Aramco was told that the water level in the Uffuf oasis was out of bound ,
Aramco then pumped seawater after having de-oxygenated it .
As far as I know they are still doing it
water flooding either push the remaining oil up , re-pressurize the field , avoid ground subsidence
or simply carry the oil along with it ,
separating the oil from the water is one of the easiest things to do in an oilfield ,
the separation cost is minimal if one know what to do with the water afterward
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 27 Feb 2017, 00:49:54

sparky wrote:.

the separation cost is minimal if one know what to do with the water afterward

And what do you do with it afterwards? You pump it into the flood. Again.

Lawrence County once had this beautiful shallow sand flood going on, and they laid the pipes from the producers right on the ground back to the seperation facilities (know as "tanks", oil floating to the top, water remaining on the bottom) and then the water draw valve was opened to equalize with the water holding tanks, and so it went, occasionally adding make up water, or moving the pipes as producers became injectors, new producers were drilled, etc etc. Most compact and wonderfully small operation I've ever seen. Darn right the oil field knows how to handle oil/water separation and recycling. Simmons was a joke as a reservoir engineer, field engineer, and it insults real oil men when folks pretend some suit wearing accountant in the pockets of the banksters was one.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion