Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

An interesting website on peak oil.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

An interesting website on peak oil.

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 22:15:16

I found this website which might be of interest to you...

http://www.wolfatthedoor.org.uk/

It contains some pretty useful information.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: An interesting website on peak oil.

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 22:42:36

pstarr wrote:That is a flashback. You would have to go back to 2004-6 to understand.

So are you saying the information on the website is outdated?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 22:55:27

DesuMaiden wrote:
pstarr wrote:That is a flashback. You would have to go back to 2004-6 to understand.

There's a disclaimer on the site:
Important note:
I created this site several years ago and do not have the time any longer to keep it updated. Therefore you will find that the data is only relevant up to around 2006 and some of the links will no longer be correct. However the principles of peak oil still apply and I have left the site online as a useful introduction to the problem that hasn't gone away.
PT
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Loki » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 01:15:07

copious.abundance wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:

There's a disclaimer on the site:
Important note:
I created this site several years ago and do not have the time any longer to keep it updated. Therefore you will find that the data is only relevant up to around 2006 and some of the links will no longer be correct. However the principles of peak oil still apply and I have left the site online as a useful introduction to the problem that hasn't gone away.
PT

His Predictions page is interesting. Original predictions were made in 2004, not clear when he added comments, looks like 2007/8. Got a few right back in 2004:

Rise in oil prices bring on recession in North America and Europe.

Food and power shortages hit Asian and African countries but is largely ignored in the Developed World as "this is what is expected over there". [Arab Spring]

Yet another 'discovery' of the enormous resource in tar sands. Yet another attempt to explain why it isn't the same as conventional oil.

There is a new fad for turning parts of your garden aside for growing vegetables. Endless TV shows about gardening.

In the home, there is a rise in energy-saving measures such as small solar heating panels, lightbulbs, insulation.

Rise of interest in small cars and motorcycles (anything rather than public transport).

Third World War begins.

Oh wait, I think that last one is scheduled for later this year :lol:
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 09:58:58

pstarr - Poked around some in there also. Not bad on many levels especially if one is new to PO. Out of date for sure but that aslo makes his forecasts all the more interesting.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby WildRose » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:17:58

I've referred to Wolf at the Door quite often in the past, it's a really good introduction to peak oil and I especially liked the oil map and all the charts.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:45:56

ROCKMAN wrote:pstarr - Poked around some in there also. Not bad on many levels especially if one is new to PO. Out of date for sure but that aslo makes his forecasts all the more interesting.

Youtube videos are the best for an introduction on peak oil. But I found Wolf at the Door several months after learning about peak oil.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 21:49:33

pstarr wrote:Wolf is an interesting site to a point. Mr Wolf doesn't understand oil economics, the supply/demand dynamic and the consequence of ever-more-costly oil production. He seems to assume that prices will continually rise, the competition for remaining oil will be fierce and the final consequence World War Three. But this is wrong.

We are seeing the opposite; ever-more-costly oil production causes debt-contraction, the inability to pay for oil and real demand destruction. From a personal and business perspective this is deflation, depression, personal/business money/product shrinkage. Difficult to conceptualize for those raised their entire lives in inflationary times. Things will get smaller and less competitive, less fierce. No money for bullets. Lots of moping around, waiting on bread lines, killing time. Who wins? Families/gangs with collective power.

He said that there are four stages to collapse.

Awareness---> Transition (Orderly and then Anarchic)----> Savagery----> Self-Sustainability.

We are still in the awareness and early transition phrase.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 21:58:51

DesuMaiden wrote:Youtube videos are the best for an introduction on peak oil.

Wolf was online several years before YouTube was invented, it was one of my first introductions after the '98 SciAm piece. Along with DieOff.org and of course LATOC, WATD was about all there was until PO.com
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 22:08:00

Pops wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:Youtube videos are the best for an introduction on peak oil.

Wolf was online several years before YouTube was invented, it was one of my first introductions after the '98 SciAm piece. Along with DieOff.org and of course LATOC, WATD was about all there was until PO.com

I discovered peak oil on Youtube.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak Oil Discussion