Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

An interesting article on peak oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

An interesting article on peak oil

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:32:38

Read this article.

http://www.peakoil.dk/introduction.pdf

It explains the energy expensiveness of modern civilization. Here are a few interesting facts it states.

About 10 calories of fossil fuel energy are used to produce every calorie of food energy in the industrialized world. This includes all of the energy to produce the food, package it, and transport it, but this does not include the amount of energy to cook the food at home.

The construction of an electronic device consumes about 10 times its own weight in fossil fuels. For example, the average computer weighs about 5 to 10 lbs meaning 50 to 100 lbs of oil is used to construct the average desktop computer. That is about equivalent to 1/2 to 1 barrel of oil to construct the average laptop or desktop computer. It takes about 1/10th to 1/20th the amount of energy to construct a desktop computer compared to a car.

It takes around 30 barrels of oil, on average, to construct a car designed for carrying 5 people. The construction of a car consumes about twice as much oil as the weight of the car.

Virtually all technology invented since the 1860s is dependent on oil in someway, shape or form. Virtually all of the products you own, bought or use were constructed using fossil fuels, especially oil. Virtually everything manufactured nowadays is made of petroleum ranging from computers (and other hi tech devices), plastics, tires, shoes, clothing, cosmetics, cars (and other transportation devices), food, pesticides, toothpaste/ toothbrushes, and the list goes on and on.

Even implementing alternative energies to oil is dependent on oil. The construction of wind turbines, solar panels, nuclear reactors, hydroelectric dams, nuclear fusion reactors, coal/natural gas extraction, biofuel production and etc all require oil.

In other words, oil is ubiquitous. It is everywhere and in everything.

By the way, I found this article by searching the following phrase on Google: " the construction of a computer consumes 10 times its own weight in fossil fuels". There is a wealth of information on the Internet, which is again a derivative of oil since all of the web servers used to maintain the internet come from countless computers that required an enormous amount of oil to construct. Also, about 10% of all electricity usage in the USA is used for maintaining the Internet, and most of that electricity was produced via fossil fuels, primarily natural gas and coal. So yes, virtually all modern technology are derivatives of petroleum.

Like Matt Savinar once said, " I don't care if you worship Jesus, Buddha or Allah. What you actually worship is petroleum". Denying the enormity and scale of peak oil is as foolish as denying the world is round. You are overly optimistic and foolish to think that peak oil can be resolved via wishful thinking. Most people think that peak oil can be resolved via some magical alternative energy, which is just silly, delusional, wishful thinking. Most people are delusional and foolish when it comes to peak oil as a result. But very few people are truly aware of the severity of the implications of peak oil, which is understandable because peak oil is rarely mentioned by mainstream media.

Very few people realize the fact that no alternative energy by itself or in any combination will be able to replace fossil fuels. That is a fact. Like Michael Ruppert once said "there is nothing in any combination anywhere that can replace the edifice built by fossil fuels". And he is quiet correct. Most modern technology simply cannot exist without abundant oil.

The obvious, unavoidable conclusion, is that peak oil will lead to the collapse of industrial civilization. And since there exists 7 billion plus people only because of oil, it is axiomatic if you take the oil away the population must go away also. I think peak oil leading to a population collapse is almost certainly going to happen. Oil is the only reason the human population breaked the 2 billion people milestone, so if you take the oil away, it is inevitable the population bubble will explode, and the population will contract back to what it was before the oil age, which was under 2 billion people.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: An interesting article on peak oil

Unread postby MD » Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:59:57

Your best post so far. Very nice!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby careinke » Thu 09 Apr 2015, 16:47:20

Nice job Desu.,

So knowing that collapse will come sooner or later. Do you have any plans on how you will survive, and become one of the people left? Or, will you be one of the majority who will expect someone else to save them, at least until they realise nobody is coming.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 09 Apr 2015, 19:41:37

Yes, Desu. Welcome to the red-piller-club. Better late than never. Oh, and remember that Matt Savinar stopped worrying about doom and is now making a living as an astrologer. In the end, we all have to stop staring over the next horizon and find a way to pay the rent. If you focus in on this too much and for too long it can do you a lot of damage.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 10 Apr 2015, 14:34:34

ennui2 wrote:Yes, Desu. Welcome to the red-piller-club. Better late than never. Oh, and remember that Matt Savinar stopped worrying about doom and is now making a living as an astrologer. In the end, we all have to stop staring over the next horizon and find a way to pay the rent. If you focus in on this too much and for too long it can do you a lot of damage.

Well, if you don't understand peak oil and its consequences, you can't consider yourself red-pilled in my opinion. I use the term red-pill very sparingly because not many people are truly red-pilled. That's because not many people truly understand the implications of peak oil. Only about 1% of the population truly understand that peak oil will lead to the collapse of industrial civilization. Even fewer people have the courage to deal with it in a direct manner.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby sparky » Fri 10 Apr 2015, 17:08:04

any society , including the hunter gatherer stone age depend on energy intake ,
for most of human history , it was food/ wood , quite renewable
the most common form of power machine was people as worker or slaves ,or the rather expensive to keep oxen and horses
then , on the 10th of January 1709 , Abraham Darby fired the old furnace with coke and started the industrial revolution

.....the age of carbon !
that was coal ,then a superior form of resource , oil became the standard of individual freedom
no oil for the masses means no freedom to the people , women back in the kitchen , 6 days working week
no social security or pension ,justice for sale ......like it was so it will be
as for the mad max scenario , don't worry about it , law and order will be imposed ...hard , very hard !
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 10 Apr 2015, 19:35:53

pstarr wrote:It's gonna be like MadMax over here. Get your leathers and feathers ready people!

Where do you live?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 10 Apr 2015, 21:17:31

pstarr wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:
pstarr wrote:It's gonna be like MadMax over here. Get your leathers and feathers ready people!

Where do you live?
Bayside California.

I live in the most remote population center in the contiguous 48 states. Hundreds of miles of dense empty (of humans) industrial timberlands and jagged coastal mountains separate me from any and all trouble. We also grow marijuana. :)

I thought California was the most populated state in the USA. Well, anyways, I live in Kitchener Ontario which is very modestly populated. I think I will do fine. Just cross my fingers a Mad Max scenario doesn't break out.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 10 Apr 2015, 21:21:57

pstarr wrote:California is a very large state, 800 miles long. I am almost 280 miles north of San Francisco.

What kind food can you grow in California?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 11 Apr 2015, 05:39:10

I think that someone needs a quick lesson in how to use search engines on the internet!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+kind+food+can ... California
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 11 Apr 2015, 09:41:30

DesuMaiden wrote:I think I will do fine. Just cross my fingers a Mad Max scenario doesn't break out.

LOL, naw, just the collapse of industrial civilization.

What do you think will protect you from the great die-of there in Kitchener?

Many folks folks in the first flush of PO.com seemed to think tapping out fantasies of doom was a great passtime. But then when $147/bbl oil rolled around and the world credit markets froze and the economy went into near depression, they all sorta disappeared.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 11 Apr 2015, 14:03:45

With respect to population density of the states and US territories CA ranks #11 with Texas having less than half the number of folks per sq mile. OTOH New Jersey could get a tad unpleasant when TSHTF: they rank #1 with about 5X the folks per sq miles as CA. And then there's DC with about 45X the number. I wonder how many neighborhood gardens it will take to feed the folks in DC? I suppose that explains why govt agencies, including the IRS and the post office, have acquired BILLIONS of rounds of ammo in recent years. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 11 Apr 2015, 15:04:24

Great post about peak oil, Desu. The truth is nothing could have replaced the characteristics of oil / fossil fuels for their unique combination of multiple utility - fungible, concentrated source of energy, and accessibility (cheap). Yet even more prominent is even if we could have to some degree replaced fossil fuels we had to pretty much have already done it. I cite the Hirsh report which I am sure many here are familiar with. The momentous task of replacing and scaling up is now highly unlikely because this transition itself would require the use of lots of oil. Oil which is needed for other important uses. So absolutely right peak oil is relatively a esoteric subject among the general public. My goodness some people still do not quite believe in the reality of global warming. Oh well!
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Peak Oil Discussion