Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

America The Movie

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

America The Movie

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 13:08:44

http://youtu.be/zPsLB11POtQ

A movie coming out his summer, an alternate history where George Washington dies in battle and the Revolt is crushed by the British Empire.

I am really interested in AH stories, after all. Like writing them myself, so. Think this will be a fascinating movie to see.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: America The Movie

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 13:57:05

George Washington was an incredibly important historical personage not only for the US but for the entire world. I saw an exhibit about him at the Smithsonian in DC some years ago. He was an amazing soldier and played leading roles in both the French and Indian war and the Revolution. He was also the wealthiest man in the American colonies---Washington is the original 1% You wouldn't expect someone who had done so well under the colonial system to risk all he had to make a revolution, but Washington did exactly that.

Even more amazing than his military exploits is the role he played after the revolution in guiding the US towards becoming a Republic. His personal example in stepping down from the presidency after two terms set an example of peaceful transfer of power from president to president that started our great Republic on its long voyage through history.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 14:21:23

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:http://youtu.be/zPsLB11POtQ

A movie coming out his summer, an alternate history where George Washington dies in battle and the Revolt is crushed by the British Empire.

I am really interested in AH stories, after all. Like writing them myself, so. Think this will be a fascinating movie to see.
AH like Alt History? Never read any. I like Alt Future stories like 'Blade Runner' and '2012' Can you recommend AH?

AH comes in two basic flavors, in type I time travelers change something, either accidently or intentionally, and everything follows from that. In type II stories a historical event went in a different direction, usually because of a decision someone significant made.

For Type I my recomended first book is The Guns Of The South by Harry Turtledove about the US Civil War.

For Type II I recomend SS-GB by Len Deighton about the aftermath of World War II where the UK is under the thumb of Germany after losing the war.

Of course if you buy my stuff on Kindle I certainly approve :-D
Lost Submariner Log One by Allen W. McDonnell
Grantville Gazette Vol. IV by Eric Flint et al.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 21:50:01

pstarr wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:http://youtu.be/zPsLB11POtQ

AH like Alt History? Never read any. I like Alt Future stories like 'Blade Runner' and '2012' Can you recommend AH?

If you really want to explore what might have been I recommend the United States of Vinland by Colin Taber. The premise is that around 1,000 AD a band of Pagan believing Vikings set out to find North America to get away from the Christians who were taking over Scandinavia, Iceland and Greenland at the time. Available in both Kindle and Paper formats.
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Vin ... olin+taber
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 23:35:49

Subjectivist wrote:The Guns Of The South by Harry Turtledove about the US Civil War.

I was just going to recommend that to you, lol, good book. Have you read this one:

SS-GB by Len Deighton about the aftermath of World War II where the UK is under the thumb of Germany after losing the war.

Cool novel there, the revolution never happened in that one. Technology progressed slower without as much warfare in the world. They use steam powered cars, and zepplin type dirigibles. (from what I recall it's been a while)

Some time ago someone recommended "the Windup Girl" -- good book. I like dystopia, alternate history, sci fi, historical fiction, and then just anything that's a good story. Reading "On the Beach" at the moment. (1950s nuke apocalypse)

If you have more recommendations keep them coming.

What do you mean your stuff, are you a writer? I do audio books on audible, with my smartphone, so I can multitask.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Loki » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 23:47:50

When I think of counterfactual historical fiction I think of The Man in the High Castle by Phillip Dick (Axis won WWII and split the US between Japan and Nazi Germany). Been on my list for a while, but I read maybe one novel every 3-5 years so the backlog is deep. 99.9% of my reading is non-fiction.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 00:18:37

pstarr wrote:AH like Alt History? Never read any. I like Alt Future stories like 'Blade Runner' and '2012' Can you recommend AH?

Try Phillip K. Dicks' most acclaimed (as far as I know) novel, "The Man in the High Castle". This alternate history AND science fiction novel depicts Dick's vision of what life might have been like if the Axis had won WWII and Japan had taken control of much of the US lower 48.

A fascinating novel, and widely acclaimed. As a reminder, "Blade Runner" is based on Philip K. Dick's very popular novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". I don't think director Ridley Scott actually was true to the novel (the androids were less interesting in the novel), but PKD can expand your mind, if you take the time to read and contemplate him.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 09:25:00

Sixstrings wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:The Guns Of The South by Harry Turtledove about the US Civil War.

I was just going to recommend that to you, lol, good book. Have you read this one:

SS-GB by Len Deighton about the aftermath of World War II where the UK is under the thumb of Germany after losing the war.

Cool novel there, the revolution never happened in that one. Technology progressed slower without as much warfare in the world. They use steam powered cars, and zepplin type dirigibles. (from what I recall it's been a while)

Some time ago someone recommended "the Windup Girl" -- good book. I like dystopia, alternate history, sci fi, historical fiction, and then just anything that's a good story. Reading "On the Beach" at the moment. (1950s nuke apocalypse)

If you have more recommendations keep them coming.

What do you mean your stuff, are you a writer? I do audio books on audible, with my smartphone, so I can multitask.

Yes I wrote a novella

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Submariner-L ... 00A9WGKEO/

The print version is crazy expensive because it was a small print run, but the kindle version is about 3 bucks.

The other one is a collection of short pieces set in the 1632 series, where a town from 2000 AD West Virginia gets zapped into 1631 in Germany.

http://www.amazon.com/Grantville-Gazett ... 00APAHCEC/

Have not read The Two Georges but will put it on my list. As for On The Beach don't take it too seriously, the science in it is almost non existent, it was written as a scare novel to convince people war is bad.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 09:30:04

pstarr wrote:Thanks for all the tips. I once tried Dick's High Castle and gave up, though Androids Sheep is one of my favorites. The book was an early ecological novel I read decades ago. I remember Dekkard escaping into the country and coming across what he thought was an actual living animal, a frog I think? Alas, it turned out to be a robotic animal also. It's battery compartment door popped open.

Did you ever look up The World Inside? We talked about it a few months ago over in the Arcology thread.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 10:00:48

A site for AH fans: http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... hp?t=11093
And yes: there is still occasional urban legend chatter that Texas still holds the right to withdraw from the US if it so chooses. Last time there was serious rhetoric thrown around was several decades ago when Texas industries were being shut down because "our" NG was being shipped to Yankeeland. Even some comments about the governor blowing up pipelines at the state border.

For instance: Second Republic of Texas (Balkanization of North America)

Capital Austin
Largest city Houston
Language English and Spanish
President Rockman (made that part up myself)
Independence March 3 1873
Currency Texan dollar

Texas was originally part of Mexico until The Mexican-Yankee War. It then became a Yankee state until the 1860s when they merged with the CSA. In1868 Texas rejoined The Yankees. Most Texans didn't care one way or the other and just went with their leaders. Texans were fairly unhappy with both governments and thus were created into an independent nation in 1873.

History of The Second Republic of Texas: Texas claimed that parts of Confederate Sequoyah Territory conquered by Yankees in The First Confederate-Yankee War was part of the Republic. Texas built up an army and when The Confederacy admitted Sequoyah as a state in 1879 including the disputed areas Texas declares war on the CSA. The Confederates refused to give Texas the disputed area, Texas refused to give the Confederacy the disputed area so a war was inevitable. Texas was given the whole of Sequoyah by the CSA to end the of war so as to prepare for an invasion of the USA.

So who knows what the future might bring. But if you're so disposed a line can form to the right for those who wish to get a jump on that new brave world and kiss my *ss now. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 15 Mar 2014, 14:07:05

Subjectivist wrote:Yes I wrote a novella

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Submariner-L ... 00A9WGKEO/

The print version is crazy expensive because it was a small print run, but the kindle version is about 3 bucks.

That's awesome!
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 16 Mar 2014, 13:01:23

pstarr wrote:. From I what I read on Amazon reviews, The World Inside seems pretty depressing, you get thrown down the shute if you complain. Also out of date--the woman stay home and get "topped" by any guy, while the guys go out "night walking" and get any girl. People are willing to stay locked up in the Urban Monoliths? That's crazy.

Well it is about a world where the natural world has been all but eliminated and the goal is for humans to repoduce as much as possible, of course it is a Dystopia!!

As for Free Love aspect, I think that was a hold over from the 1960's counter culture combined with Eugenics theories on how to breed more perfect humans by mixing elite genes into the lower class worker genes.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Book/Media Reviews