Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Africa & Energy (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: UN Report: bioenergy can lift West Africa out of poverty

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 12:54:06

When I read the thread title, I didn't need to look at the posters name to know it was our old friend lorenzo.

Keep at it, man. We need to have someone posting these fantasies here so we can keep in touch with the clueless mindset of the technofantasists and conucopians.

Personally, I think the rest of the world should start learning how to live within ecological means from certain Africans in traditional societies who have been doing so in the same environment for tens of thousands of years. Most of the rest of humanity are quite recent arivals--exotic invasive species, really--in their current habitats.

Best wishes to all on the slope down into the abyss.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby lorenzo » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 00:08:30

dohboi wrote:Best wishes to all on the slope down into the abyss.

You mean this slope? :-D

I'm preparing Africans to make the most out of their resources. I don't see why they should listen to someone who idealizes their poverty and misery.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 00:56:54

When has any UN/World Bank/IMF program ever lifted any country or region out of poverty?
In case you're struggling with finding the answer to that, the answer is never, ever. The UN is an organ designed to bleed the material wealth from countries, not "lift" them out of poverty. Thinking anything else is deluded nonsense.
Oh wait, it's Lorenzo's thread. I should have expected deluded nonsense, shouldn't I have? :-D
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 02:06:18

bodhinagami wrote:bioenergy (new cornucopian buzzword) is making Congo the number 3 "exporter of carbon dioxide" (see NatGeo, November for details).

I don't believe it. You are actually capable of a normal post. Congrats.
mos6507

Unread postby Munqi » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 03:35:07

Munqi wrote:Does this plan take into account peak phosphorus? Is there a need for that?
Dont people know the answer for this question or is it a dumb question? If it is then answer it anyway. Theres so little information (trustworthy information anyway) to be found about this.
Munqi
Lignite
Lignite

Africa Has Shitloads Of Resources

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 18:01:09

Anyone who knows me — or has read my resume below — will understand why I have to comment on the horrendous outburst by the President of the United States on January 11th. I heard Jesse Watters on Fox News explain that the s***hole remarks were just harmless bar talk, but if we can agree that the White House is in fact the office of the most powerful administration in the world — and not a bar — then the following will make sense. If you think the White House is in fact a bar, you have nothing to worry about and I would suggest you stop reading further. Africa will skip the mistakes of western industrialization I have friends in Zambia, an African country south of the equator with borders to DR Congo, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, and Tanzania.

Africa Has Shitloads Of Resources
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

The World Bank’s Systematic Looting of Africa

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 11:10:06

A brand new World Bank report, The Changing Wealth of Nations 2018, offers evidence of how much poorer Africa is becoming thanks to rampant minerals, oil and gas extraction. Yet Bank policies and practices remain oriented to enforcing foreign loan repayments and transnational corporate (TNC) profit repatriation, thus maintaining the looting. Central to its “natural capital accounting,” the Bank uses an “Adjusted Net Savings” (ANS) measure for changes in economic, ecological and educational wealth. This is surely preferable to “Gross National Income” (GNI, a minor variant of Gross Domestic Product), which fails to consider depletion of non-renewable natural resources and pollution (not to mention unpaid women’s and community work). In its latest world survey (with 1990-2015 data), the Bank concludes that Sub-Saharan Africa loses roughly $100 billion of ANS annually because it is “the only region with periods of negative levels – averaging negative 3

The World Bank’s Systematic Looting of Africa
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion