Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A Matter of Degree

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

A Matter of Degree

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 17 Dec 2017, 11:34:54

"Did we really imagine people would feel threatened by the number 2?" USAnians are a very strange lot, as Alexis de Tocqueville observed on his road trip with Gustave de Baumont in 1831. The Bible-thumping, coon-skinned, populist utopians fascinated him. Tocqueville blithely compared the young country’s despotic democratic government, then hip-deep in the ethnic cleansing of indigenous peoples, to a parent protective of “perpetual children.” Anticipating Chomsky’s Manufacturing Consent by 157 years, Tocqueville observed that the US brand of fervent fascism doesn’t try to break wills but rather bends them, allowing government to preside over people like “a flock of timid animals.” These timid animals nonetheless hunted the remnant bands of the First Nations like a wolf pack. Adult male scalps fetched about $100 in silver during Tocqueville’s visit, and about half that for women and children. Such hefty sums attracted those given

A Matter of Degree
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: A Matter of Degree

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 13:49:36

While the country remains in a political stalemate with niether political party appealing to a large majority nothing will change. Those few tentative steps towards mprovent always get reversed as soon as the other party gains ground politically.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: A Matter of Degree

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 14:15:48

The fact that the control of government changes hands every few years is the only thing that saves us from extremists in both parties. The danger arises when one party controls the White House, Congress, and has the opportunity to appoint two or more justices to the SCOTUS.

Because you see, governments do not exist to increase personal freedoms, rather everything they do extends their own power by limiting the freedoms of their citizens.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews