Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A discussion on the contours of history

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: A discussion on the contours of history

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 03:51:23

radon1 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
radon1 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:refute the Labor Theory of Value as patently false on its face

How?

It's pretty simple. Markets decide value, not the transmorgrification of a product into something of value because somebody sweated over it. There isn't anything magical about human labor that can establish value. The magical thing is what people think something is worth.

This does not refute anything. How do the markets decide value? How do the people think that something is worth this or that?

The basics of the labor-value theory are irrefutable, because this is not really a theory, this is simple common sense. You can argue about added value and its appropriation, "exploitation" and stuff, but this is a separate matter.

The market is the mediator between surplus value and commodification. It is the embodiment of capital, accumulation and consolidation. Without surplus value and commodification, there would be no market and nothing to market as capitalism contemplates.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 03:56:34

Feudalism anyone?

Saudi Arabia to move from oil, earn more from Hajj

https://www.rt.com/business/337135-saud ... enues-oil/
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 04:06:24

Plantagenet wrote:
radon1 wrote:

How?

Easy. Just look at the world around you. The Labor Theory of Value doesn't take into account the power of advertising and branding.

There are literally millions of luxury products---from iPhones to Gucci to BMWs----that are priced far above the value of the labor and materials that went into producing them. The value of these luxury products is clearly based on their reputation for quality and their branding and image created by advertising more than on the cost of the labour that produced them. And luxury products are highly successful in the market---often more profitable and more successful than similar items that cost less and might be just as good but aren't marketed the same way and that don't have the same brand power and prestige.

Cheers!

These are early days and an as yet inefficient market with ample surplus value but few competitors to render it fully deflationary where producers fight over every last penny of extractable value. Paradoxically Trump threatens to upset the rules established by the Cold War (not really free trade rules but more sweeteners to prevent labour defecting during the confrontation). So now we see Trump threatening to charge for what the US previously had to bribe to get. LMFAO!!! I so love watching it all unravel into pure red in tooth and claw relations. If anything will wake you dumbasses wake up, it will be the suffering that Trump will bring in his wake. If I was religious I would pray for a Trump victory. As it is I can only hope for one, He will quickly deflower the Islamic peasant and Western worker of their collective illusions.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 04:13:47

Plantagenet wrote:
onlooker wrote:I do not think AD has any religious beliefs Plant, he detests religion. He does have some strong intellectual opinions though.

Marxism and the belief in the historic dialect have all the earmarks of a religion.

Marxists have faith in a prophet----Karl Marx.

They have faith in a holy book written by their prophet----Das Kapital.

They believe with deep intensity that the future is pre-ordained by the historical dialectic as described in their holy book Das Kapital written by Marx.

This really is no different from Islamists who believe the future is preordained by Allah as described in their holy book the Koran written by their prophet Muhammad.

I know that AD and other marxists would deny that they are religious, but if you make an comparison between marxism and religions, there isn't any real difference.

I trade the hidden hand so for me it is a darn sight more measurable than the ramblings of the more speculative kind.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 11:20:47

Plantagenet wrote:
radon1 wrote:

How?

Easy. Just look at the world around you. The Labor Theory of Value doesn't take into account the power of advertising and branding.

Again, this does not refute anything. You wouldn't apply laws of thermodynamics to liquid or solid matters, would you, because they are applicable to another state (gaseous). Similarly, basic labor-value theory applies to static state (balanced on consumption/production). Description of non-static states (where branding/advertising are prevalent) needs modifications.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:28:40

radon1 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
radon1 wrote:

How?

It's pretty simple. Markets decide value, not the transmorgrification of a product into something of value because somebody sweated over it. There isn't anything magical about human labor that can establish value. The magical thing is what people think something is worth.

This does not refute anything. How do the markets decide value? How do the people think that something is worth this or that?

The basics of the labor-value theory are irrefutable, because this is not really a theory, this is simple common sense. You can argue about added value and its appropriation, "exploitation" and stuff, but this is a separate matter.

Uh, supply and demand is the simple answer. There isn't, and can't, be some glowing powerful labor generated goodness that magically transmorgrifies into value. A prospector can labor for years and only find a single ounce of gold. That doesn't make that ounce suddenly worth several year's wages in a substitutionary profession. At the used book store you don't pay a price which accounts for the author's either long or short time writing a work. Neither does that price have any relationship to the publisher's marketing. You see what they want to charge and decide if it is worth it to you, for the idea, which is in this case the commodity. You may be able to make an offer if you don't have the money. Just as in the case of gold, the individual buyer may have certain predilections which encourage them to spend more than somebody else for the book, maybe it's Das Kapital or the Philosophical Writings of 1848 and you have a compulsion to spend as much as you have in your pocket every time you see them in a used book store? People's fascination with gold is equally fraught with predilections which can lead them to spend more than somebody else would have encouraged them to through competing with them by bidding an amount for a good. Some people actually believe that gold has a value outside of what people are willing to pay for it. These instances of predilection, however, are generally outliers. Statistically, they don't have much of a bearing upon the overall market.

Similarly, from the point of view of the average spender, people will spend upon a thing the amount they can afford out of the contribution it makes to either their routine or their life. Mostly they spend out of the contribution it makes to their routine. This is why rent can be a catalyst for oppression in the boom phase of boom and bust rental markets. It's also why, in terms of contribution toward one's life, most people who declare bankruptcy in America are doing so for health debt related reasons, even if they do have insurance. Rent is particularly troublesome toward routine not only because it is typically the largest component of it, but because its cost tends to be locked in and because the options, moving somewhere else, can be onerous. Other parts of routine, like what you pay at the supermarket come with far less onerous options, substitution goods or changing one's mind about what to have for dinner.

Have I suffered with this long enough? What part of this is not obvious? Maybe what you are really asking is what money is? That's something for a whole different thread, I think. And those threads already exist.

It is just possible that you are fixated upon the idea of predilection, its impact and the share it has in determining what people will pay for something. Maybe you have a theory that includes that as a much larger component of the picture? It isn't that predilection is not important, you see, or what Plantagenet says about marketing wouldn't be true. If you go that direction be prepared to deal with oligopoly, product life cycle, marketing channels and other things that can sway a putative point well outside of its original frame of reference. Just don't forget that no matter how much a person may fondle their Iphone, and not be able to sleep through the night without checking it, they still need a roof over their head and however many meals a day to keep the wolf away.
Last edited by evilgenius on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 13:45:16, edited 1 time in total.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 13:20:12

evilgenius wrote:
Uh, supply and demand is the simple answer.

The response is in the immediately preceding post (above yours).
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 13:26:44

americandream wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:
onlooker wrote:I do not think AD has any religious beliefs Plant, he detests religion. He does have some strong intellectual opinions though.

Marxism and the belief in the historic dialect have all the earmarks of a religion.

Marxists have faith in a prophet----Karl Marx.

They have faith in a holy book written by their prophet----Das Kapital.

They believe with deep intensity that the future is pre-ordained by the historical dialectic as described in their holy book Das Kapital written by Marx.

This really is no different from Islamists who believe the future is preordained by Allah as described in their holy book the Koran written by their prophet Muhammad.

I know that AD and other marxists would deny that they are religious, but if you make an comparison between marxism and religions, there isn't any real difference.

I trade the hidden hand so for me it is a darn sight more measurable than the ramblings of the more speculative kind.

Someone once said that the hidden hand is no good without the hidden fist. Is that part of what you were referring to in your earlier post?
"If I was religious I would pray for a Trump victory. As it is I can only hope for one, He will quickly deflower the Islamic peasant and Western worker of their collective illusions."
It all seems to me just early versions of war without overt war. Your "red in tooth and claw".
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 13:40:27

radon1 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
Uh, supply and demand is the simple answer.

The response is in the immediately preceding post (above yours).

You better elaborate. Explain your position in terms of your own language. History demands it. Otherwise you are nothing more than a fakir or a magician, touting such things as humors and the balance of earth, air, fire and water.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 14:41:13

Supply and demand owe their genesis to material conditions just as the nature of American consumerism owe their roots to the medieval poverty of Middle Ages Europe (as a template for the general human condition).
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 15:11:52

radon1 wrote:You wouldn't apply laws of thermodynamics to liquid or solid matters, would you, because they are applicable to another state (gaseous).

????

Actually, the laws of thermodynamics apply to all materials, no matter whether they are solid, liquid, gas, or a plasma.

cheers!

entropy tends to increase with time even in solid materials
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 15:19:09

Only as a function removed and not a function inherent to that FORM.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 15:33:18

americandream wrote:Feudalism anyone?

I have long suspected that if our civilization collapses what emerges after a century or three will be some seriously stratified social structure. Not sure how that relates to the news you linked to.

For almost all human history there has been a noble class and a peasant class. It doesn't matter if you are talking about China of the Incan Empire or medieval Italy. In the better off empires skilled tradesmen and merchants made up the middle class between.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 16:17:03

Subjectivist wrote:
americandream wrote:Feudalism anyone?

I have long suspected that if our civilization collapses what emerges after a century or three will be some seriously stratified social structure. Not sure how that relates to the news you linked to.

For almost all human history there has been a noble class and a peasant class. It doesn't matter if you are talking about China of the Incan Empire or medieval Italy. In the better off empires skilled tradesmen and merchants made up the middle class between.

Again I urge you to understand history in the flow of dialectic forces. And on that point, this link is a timely peek into that process:

Belief in the supernatural exists throughout history because of a “tension between [neural] networks” that facilitates a “non-material way of understanding the world” because of a lack of fundamental understanding of the material world.

https://occupycorporatism.com/reason-lo ... -mattered/
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 17:39:44

Plantagenet wrote:
radon1 wrote:You wouldn't apply laws of thermodynamics to liquid or solid matters, would you, because they are applicable to another state (gaseous).

the laws of thermodynamics apply to all materials

I didn't use "the". Laws of thermodynamics are many and vary a lot depending on the state.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 17:48:39

evilgenius wrote:
You better elaborate. Explain your position in terms of your own language. History demands it.

If History demands, then here it is, elaborated, in my language, so that a translator has to be used, no English version available so far.

http://worldcrisis.ru/crisis/2259001
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 18:22:25

I am looking for a crisp and succinct piece that captures the nature of the historic process in a few words. I alas am not gifted with the eloquence and verbosity of some. I will post as soon as I come across that which suits my purposes so stay posted. Thanks to radon, I shall read his piece above at the weekend (translated and kindled) for additional guidance.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 21:59:33

The examples given in this talk might help us look at points regarding markets, prices, supply and demand, etc:

"Joshua Farley: Economics of the Anthropocene"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNa2j2HDvo
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Tue 29 Mar 2016, 06:10:35

radon1 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
You better elaborate. Explain your position in terms of your own language. History demands it.

If History demands, then here it is, elaborated, in my language, so that a translator has to be used, no English version available so far.

http://worldcrisis.ru/crisis/2259001

An auto-translated version, if translator is unavailable (sorry for self-quote).

https://translate.google.ru/translate?s ... authuser=0
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 00:37:04

British and American financial centres are the only 2 centres of any consequence in the current global liquidity circuit:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/number-eu-bank ... ge-1552329
americandream
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics