Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Movie: "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"

Unread postby UIUCstudent01 » Thu 05 Jan 2006, 04:38:28

So, in the new January 2006 edition of ASPO's newsletter, there was a blurb about this movie. I checked out the site and looked around a bit. I found some regular peak oil arguments on the front of the site. This may be the movie alot of peakers have been waiting for.

I was looking for some quick information about the movie and found a list of the interviewees. As one can suspect, Matt Simmons and Matt Savinar (!) as well as quite a few others (a hummer dealership owner as well as Mr. Chalabi and some stanford political science professor).

I also found a trailer of sorts off-site, but on site of one of the main crew guys.

It definitely looks like THE peak oil movie without any rubbish about 9/11 being done by Cheney which would ward off many, many people.

Also, one last interesting thing I found in the downloads sections of the oilcrash site is 2 quicktime movies named "Walter Mondale 1976". I personally don't know exactly what to make of it since they are very short clips, but if anyone has ideas, go ahead and share. Buenos Noches.
UIUCstudent01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Oil Crash Movie

Unread postby aldente » Thu 05 Jan 2006, 10:31:15

Thanks for the heads up. Other than January 2006 as scheduled date of completion it is unclear to me when and how the movie will be made available. Anybody else found a clue?
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby MattSavinar » Thu 05 Jan 2006, 11:32:53

They filmed me here in my office with all my survival supplies in the background. I did take the time to hide the guns and the cache of Jack Daniels (to be used for barter purposes in a post peak oil economy).

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Thu 05 Jan 2006, 11:37:17

FWIW, I don't know anything about the release date or any of that type of information. If I find anything out, I'll link it up on my site.

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.retocaduff.com/documentaries ... ash_1.html

I didn't see the trailer till after they came here. I just hope I didn't say anything stupid or that will get me in hot water.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Daryl » Thu 05 Jan 2006, 12:20:49

MattSavinar wrote:FWIW, I don't know anything about the release date or any of that type of information. If I find anything out, I'll link it up on my site.

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.retocaduff.com/documentaries ... ash_1.html

I didn't see the trailer till after they came here. I just hope I didn't say anything stupid or that will get me in hot water.

Best,

Matt

Hi Matt:

I just read a book I know you would like. It's Goliath, by Michael Mandelbaum. As nice reasonable, mature overview of the global affairs.
Daryl
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KevO » Fri 06 Jan 2006, 05:47:55

what was the name of that other Oil movie, the filmy one?
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Guybrush » Fri 06 Jan 2006, 12:14:00

KevO wrote:what was the name of that other Oil movie, the filmy one?

Oil Storm?
Guybrush
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Kod » Sat 07 Jan 2006, 00:35:45

The End of Suburbia?
Kod
Wood
Wood

Unread postby UIUCstudent01 » Sat 07 Jan 2006, 03:30:30

Syrianna?
UIUCstudent01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KevO » Sat 07 Jan 2006, 05:51:44

Guybrush wrote:
KevO wrote:what was the name of that other Oil movie, the filmy one?

Oil Storm?

that's it. thanks!
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Bleep » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 08:53:54

Political Notes — Of filibusters, feminism and film stars (link)

Should we order signed photographs of our District 6 representative to pin on the inside of our locker?

The headline on a recent e-mail from his office reads, in bold red, "Congressman Roscoe Bartlett, Matinee Idol."

That stopped us for a moment -- first because of the idea of Mr. Bartlett taking to celluloid; second, because we don't think anyone's used the term "movie idol" since the 1950s, and, most disturbingly, because it evokes for us the wartime cheesecake poses of Betty Grable.

The press release plugs Mr. Bartlett's coming appearance in "Oil Crash," a documentary by two European journalists that premieres Saturday at the South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas. The 90-minute movie documents the possible crisis precipitated by the decline in world oil supplies.

"'Oil Crash' is a very important film because it will awaken many people to the coming energy crisis from peak oil," Mr. Bartlett said in a statement. "I've been talking about peak oil extensively for almost a year. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then I hope that a compelling documentary movie like 'Oil Crash' will be worth millions more."

Mr. Bartlett has been speaking extensively through special order speeches on the House floor, detailing U.S. scientist M. King Hubbert's predictions of a worldwide peak in oil production. Mr. Hubbert accurately predicted U.S. oil supplies would hit an apex in 1970. Experts have been split on when the global peak will come.

More information on the movie can be found at www.oilcrashmovie.com, or the production company's Web site, www.lavatv.com.

District 6's own "movie idol" will appear in screenings of the movie at 2 p.m. Saturday and 11:45 a.m. Monday in Texas at the Austin Convention Center and 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Alamo Downtown.

It's often been remarked on the congressman's strong resemblance to horror movie celebrity Vincent Price, but that hardly puts him in a class alongside, say, Academy Award-winner George Clooney, does it?

Movie idol? Nah, sorry. We're not buying it. Not until we see the Oscar.
Bleep
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Bleep » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 08:59:15

Did anybody see the world premier of Oil Crash yesterday?

It's playing again on the 13th and 16th.

http://www.lavatv.com./media/pdf/OilCrash_press.pdf
Bleep
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Leanan » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 09:39:40

Someone saw the premiere in Austin, TX and posted brief report at TheOilDrum. He said it was excellent. And the crowd was huge - much larger than expected.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 11:40:59

Leanan wrote:Someone saw the premiere in Austin, TX and posted brief report at TheOilDrum. He said it was excellent. And the crowd was huge - much larger than expected.

Leanan, I searched the OilDrum and didn't see that post. Got a link? Thanks.

And perhaps at the time of this posting it's too soon to read any reviews of "Oil Crash". I looked at all the local news web pages such as kvue.com, fox7.com, kxan.com, and austin360.com in their movie review sections this morning, but saw nothing. Even the SXSW.com movie review section had nothing on "Oil Crash" yet, but other reviews have already shown up for some of the recent screenings . I'm wondering if this is a case where people do not want to face reality, but would rather just stay in their fantasy world of denial. Perhaps the reporters are at a loss for words?

I'm sure some reviews will turn up soon, but the local media is strangely quiet at this time.
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Leanan » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 12:20:00

It was a very brief report. Try this link.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Cobra_Strike » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 16:41:04

MattSavinar wrote:They filmed me here in my office with all my survival supplies in the background. I did take the time to hide the guns and the cache of Jack Daniels (to be used for barter purposes in a post peak oil economy).

Best,

Matt
HAHAHA....sorry...its just that "barter purposes" seems kind of funny to me...
We stand here, as the light of other days surrounds us.
"Hail the Dead"
Cobra_Strike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sun 12 Mar 2006, 21:16:22

I just wanted to add another observation. While I was surfing through the local Austin TV news websites, (a few I listed above), I found it interesting that if one does a search for "Oil Crash" in the movies section of their website, one will not even find the movie listed. Why is that?

I'm curious if the local newspapers even carry an ad for the movie.

?
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby grabby » Mon 13 Mar 2006, 02:50:35

I would like to know if any of these are available on CD, and if not why not?
the film being screened in austin should be on sale at amazon.

Why not? it costs almost nothing to put it on CD, It could be done at home.

When the DVD's come out, please post a link to whre I can send my money.

I would be happy to take a few orders from my frinds also.
grabby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby grabby » Mon 13 Mar 2006, 02:51:27

PeakOiler wrote:I just wanted to add another observation. While I was surfing through the local Austin TV news websites, (a few I listed above), I found it interesting that if one does a search for "Oil Crash" in the movies section of their website, one will not even find the movie listed. Why is that?

I'm curious if the local newspapers even carry an ad for the movie.

?

I believe you have to pay to get an add into a newspaper.
grabby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Bleep » Mon 13 Mar 2006, 08:16:41

PeakOiler wrote:I just wanted to add another observation. While I was surfing through the local Austin TV news websites, (a few I listed above), I found it interesting that if one does a search for "Oil Crash" in the movies section of their website, one will not even find the movie listed. Why is that?

Movies are often released in stages in order to judge audience intrest levels to determine if it is worth a larger, more expensive campaign.
Bleep
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Book/Media Reviews