Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Finally saw Crude Awakening

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 08:23:16

seahorse wrote:I agree with Tyler, "End of Suburbia" was better. "Crude Awakening" put me to sleep. What I liked most about End of Suburbia was the first half was an interesting history lesson on how the end of WWII began the rise of suburbia in the U.S., the car culture, and the American dream of "owning your own home."

That is probably why I found it tear jerker boring, it covers a short time span of history I already know very well. Crude Awakening covered roughly 150 years and showed me things I was not emotionally knowledgable of. It kind of hit me in the gut to see the oil boom fields of the past, then and now, Venezuala, Kazakstan and Texas.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Micki » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 20:40:29

Are people mixing up Crude Awakening with Crude Impact?
The latter one was painfully boring and slow, while I like to remember Crude Awakening was really good.
Micki

Unread postby KillTheHumans » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 21:13:12

Micki wrote:Are people mixing up Crude Awakening with Crude Impact? The latter one was painfully boring and slow, while I like to remember Crude Awakening was really good.

Whichever one I saw had lots of 50's Esso commercials strung together as though that qualified as information. It showed some old oilfields to make sure we understood the concept that oilfields do...well....get old. I don't recall there being any other pertinent points.
Freddy RULZ!

www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits) (or bankers) (or web "experts")
KillTheHumans
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 21:36:30

Micki wrote:Are people mixing up Crude Awakening with Crude Impact? The latter one was painfully boring and slow, while I like to remember Crude Awakening was really good.

KTH appears to be speaking of the right documentary, though the reaction he had is opposite mine and yours. Not sure if Tyler el al are thinking of the same movie or not.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby charliebrownout » Sat 26 Apr 2008, 00:56:09

KillTheHumans wrote:Why? Al Gore's movie was coherent and didn't make us Peakniks looks like crackpot survivalists. I just hope you found one of the free copies and didn't pay for it, the thought of increasing the gross national product by people wasting hard earned cash on that thing makes me want to barf.

Of course I saw it for free. I went to a free screening of Al Gore's movie, too. I don't think it was a bad movie. I'm just wondering why Al Gore's movie wasn't about Peak Oil since the problem encompasses global warming.
I found myself thinking the same thing when I watched it.

LOL, don't hold back, let your real feelings out. I will say, I wondered why that Matt Savinar fellow was in it. He doesn't exactly lend credibility to the argument. I'm just, again, wondering why this isn't a more talked about problem.
Maybe they were bored, and just felt like making the movie?

I think boredum is the cause of many problems in the world.
Because it was a really, really awful movie?

Each to their own, although, I thought Tideland was a truly awful movie. Really, awful doesn't even seem to do it justice.
You can always convert?

Probably not. I don't think there are any Amish folks around here. Well, that, and I suck at making quilts.
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby BigTex » Sat 26 Apr 2008, 01:10:57

Which one had the Matt Savinar nude scene in it? There was a free version floating around for awhile that had the nude scene edited out.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrairieMule » Sat 26 Apr 2008, 10:20:24

Tyler_JC wrote:I tried watching this movie but could only subject myself to about 30 minutes of it. There are some decent Peak Oil Movies, this is not one of them. End of Suburbia was pretty good, even if it is a little dated at this point.

FYI-The sequel, Escape from Suburbia, will be available on Netflix this July.
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Location: In a Nigerian compound surrounded by mighty dignataries

Unread postby phaster » Tue 29 Apr 2008, 03:07:23

peak oil isn't a problem people or the media think about because, it just isn't a personal thing to them, same goes of the problem of "global warming" basically the problem is most people only can realate to a problem if it has a "face" or if its something that they have an emotionial attachment to....

for example people in the USA were effected by 9/11 because they saw it over and over, and over again on TV. Most people watching TV that day did not know or have a direct connection to anyone who died on 9/11. Think about it, how may degrees of separation do you have from anyone who died on 9/11? I personally did not know anyone who died, but do have a few indirect connections, for example I have a neighbor who flew in the navy, and was away at a reunion of old navy pilots during that week, and one of the pilots in his navy class was on the plane than went into the pentagon, then I have an old physics drinking buddy of mine, whose wife had a few friends die at the WTC, etc...

point is I like a majority of other people don't have a direct connection to 9/11 but I felt more of an emotionial response to that event even though only 3,000 or so people died... now let's put that into perspective, about 3,000 people died prematurely on 9/11 but if you do the math and look at the about 500,000 die prematurely each year in the usa because of complications due to smoking.

Big events's like 9/11 have an emotional response because they are on TV and played over and over again.... BUT most people miss the big picture because they cannot relate "personally" to the problem, or it does not have an "emotional" tug...

The other reason peak oil and global warming isn't that big a deal in the western world is because solutions to those problems will require people to think and people to sacrifice a life style that is comfortable. Basically people don't like to change, its just basic human nature.....

BTW the best part of "crude awakening" was IMHO the bonus material, but I a geek by nature and really like hearing about the data and various mechanisms that are causing the problems... if ya thought crude awakening was interesting check out:

The Denial Machine Reporter: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcast: 26/02/2007: link

and Crude (it was on the history channel for US, but it was first done down under): link
charliebrownout wrote:I wish this movie had received the publicity that Al Gore's movie did. I can't stop thinking: Why? Why? Why? Why are people so stupid? Why are they overlooking this? Why the hell couldn't I have been born Amish? Why...why...why....
Then my next thought is WHEN. That is an even tougher question than WHY. I'm wondering when it will all fall apart. When it will become apparent to everyone in the world what the underlying problem is?
I wish I had a crystal ball. I keep reading the news. I'm trying to watch the stories at the back of the paper (so to speak) because it seems like all the news worth noting is hidden in a dark corner. The front page is reserved for things everyone knows already without even reading (Britney Spears is nuts. Republicans are money-grubbers. Democrats fight each other--a lot. Duh. Soldiers don't like being in Iraq fighting an unwinnable war for oil. Duh.)
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby charliebrownout » Tue 29 Apr 2008, 16:30:59

BigTex wrote:
Micki wrote:Are people mixing up Crude Awakening with Crude Impact?
The latter one was painfully boring and slow, while I like to remember Crude Awakening was really good.

Which one had the Matt Savinar nude scene in it?

There was a free version floating around for awhile that had the nude scene edited out.

:? I seriously hope you are joking. That is a horrible, horrible thought. Isn't that sort of thing against the Geneva Convention?
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby BigTex » Tue 29 Apr 2008, 16:41:09

charliebrownout wrote:
BigTex wrote:

Which one had the Matt Savinar nude scene in it?

There was a free version floating around for awhile that had the nude scene edited out.

:? I seriously hope you are joking. That is a horrible, horrible thought. Isn't that sort of thing against the Geneva Convention?

It's actually the first in a series, to be entitled:

"Doomers Gone Wild"
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby charliebrownout » Tue 29 Apr 2008, 16:48:44

BigTex wrote:It's actually the first in a series, to be entitled:
"Doomers Gone Wild"

8O ROFLMAO Holy Doomer Man-Boobs, Batman! :lol:
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby KillTheHumans » Tue 29 Apr 2008, 20:13:50

phaster wrote:BTW the best part of "crude awakening" was IMHO the bonus material, but I a geek by nature and really like hearing about the data and various mechanisms that are causing the problems...

So....all those 50's commercials were supposed to somehow relate peak oil to me by what...making me wish for the good ol' days?
phaster wrote:if ya thought crude awakening was interesting check out: The Denial Machine

Got anything for those of us who thought CA was a bad joke trying to work as a cure for insomnia?
Freddy RULZ!

www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits) (or bankers) (or web "experts")
KillTheHumans
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ccricers » Wed 30 Apr 2008, 10:40:31

I agree as well. Crude Impact had, cool graphs but not much else. A glorified Powerpoint presentation.

And those retro 50's clips they do are indeed a kick. They were more forward on "what will the world be without oil" back then because they were joking at the idea and thought it will never happen.

Now, I think the government is more aware and at the same time more reluctant about bringing forth PSAs about oil.
ccricers
Wood
Wood

Now Playing : A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash (2006)

Unread postby admin » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 19:47:28

1400 mb (1.4 gig)

http://peakoil.tv/downloads/A.Crude.Awa ... .Crash.avi

A documentary on oil by
Basil Gelpke and Ray McCormack

starring...

Abdul Samad al-Awadi)
Colin J. Campbell
Matt Simmons

even... Matt Savinar
admin
l33t
l33t

Re: Now Playing : A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash (2006)

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 17 Oct 2010, 10:45:46

admin wrote:1400 mb (1.4 gig)

http://peakoil.tv/downloads/A.Crude.Awa ... .Crash.avi

A documentary on oil by
Basil Gelpke and Ray McCormack

starring...

Abdul Samad al-Awadi)
Colin J. Campbell
Matt Simmons

even... Matt Savinar

Wish I could DVR it for my wife, any idea if Sundance is going to show it again sometime soon?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 25 Feb 2013, 18:22:02

On Sunday I checked the DVD for "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash" out of the borough public library and watched it. This movie was made in 2006---right before the oil price spike and the financial crash----. The movie lays out the case for peak oil and is mainly based on interviews with peak oil experts ca. 2006 ---Savinar, Colin Campbell, Matt Simmons, etc.

The video was pretty good at predicting the way that high energy prices due to peak oil would trigger the financial crash that we now call the "Great Recession."

However, there wasn't single word in the 2006 video about frakking or "unconventional oil". They did mention the tar sands, but they completely missed the importance of shale oil. Colin Campbell kept claiming there would never again be a "new" geologic basin developed that would produce billions of barrels of oil (as we now see with shale oil from the Williston basin and other shale oil basins).

The peak oil experts in 2006---just 7 years ago---- never dreamed that US oil production would turn around and start increasing again due to frakking shale oil. :roll:

The "peak oil" production plateau from 2005 onward seems to have been enough to cause recession and to slow the world's economy and GDP growth, but not enough to produce the catastrophic "Oil Crash" that was predicted in this 2006 movie.

At least not yet.

This 2006 film got some things right, and some things wrong.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 25 Feb 2013, 18:40:02

Shale oil was, and is, inconsequential. The Bakken was only just taking off in 2006, as you can see in this spreadsheet:

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/stats/his ... lstats.pdf

But the Bakken and other shale oil 'discoveries' will not matter in the long run, as can be seen from the Bakken's daily oil per well figures, which show a peak in 2008. It's pretty clear that the production from the wells shown in the above document cannot produce more than around 140 barrels of oil per well, so it's all down to how many wells they can build in these areas, and there are limits in terms of resources, manpower and space. When these limits are reached we'll see a peak in the total barrels of oil produced, and the shale oil boom ends as quickly as it began.

But even if the shale oil boom keeps going for a few more years and we see a new peak in daily production, all it can do is kick the can down the road in terms of people seeing the reality of the post-peak world. It's a temporary phenomenon and it hasn't stopped oil prices from rising, nor will it.

The time to judge whether 'A Crude Awakening' was right or wrong is not now. Come back in 2020, then we'll be able to see clearly if it was right or wrong.
Last edited by Beery1 on Mon 25 Feb 2013, 19:06:22, edited 5 times in total.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 25 Feb 2013, 18:59:32

Calling the can kicking makes the act seem inconsequential, though in most cases it's actually a matter of survival. Unless the time being bought through massive debt & social re-adjustment, frakking, GTL & GTE brings a new and realistic approach to economics, agriculture, energy capture & use, breeding rates, the resetting of environment policy & spend as primary over all other including military- we are just like a super yeast which will eventually hit glass.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 25 Feb 2013, 20:25:00

Beery1 wrote:The Bakken was only just taking off in 2006

Yup...the Bakken got going at the same time the film was released.

But somehow the folks in the film who were predicating the future of the oil industry were completely in the dark about the Bakken, about frakking, about US oil and NG production stopping their decline and going up again, about the possibility of frakking spreading to China and the EU etc. etc.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Colin Campbell, the founder of ASPO, but after watching this movie now in 2013 I am startled at how clueless he and the other peak oil experts all were in 2006 about what was actually going on at that time in the oil biz. [smilie=dontknow.gif]
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews