Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

35 years of energy efficiency progress

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

35 years of energy efficiency progress

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 19:12:01

35 years of energy efficiency progress, 35 more years of energy efficiency opportunity

In 1973, the Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) imposed an oil embargo that increased energy prices, spurring efforts to conserve energy and improve energy efficiency in the US and worldwide. In 1980, energy efficiency researchers formed the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy. As we turn 35 years old this year, we thought it would be useful to look at energy efficiency progress over the past 35 years, and to also look at possible and recommended pathways for the next 35 years. Today we are releasing the results of this work in a report entitled Energy Efficiency in the United States: 35 Years and Counting.

The Past 35 Years

From 1980 to 2014, US energy use increased by 26%; however, over this same period, gross domestic product (GDP) increased 149%. “Energy intensity,” defined as energy use per real dollar of GDP, is a common approach for combining these two variables. US energy intensity has declined from 12.1 thousand Btu per dollar in 1980, to 6.1 in 2014, a 50% improvement. While part of that improvement can be attributed to structural changes in the economy, we conservatively estimate that about 60% of the improvement in energy intensity is due to efficiency improvements, saving consumers and businesses about $800 billion in 2014. Dividing by the US population, energy efficiency saved about $2500 per capita in 2014. These efficiency investments and savings also generated jobs and drove modest growth in the overall size of the economy (check out our fact sheet to learn how energy efficiency creates jobs).

aceee
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: 35 years of energy efficiency progress

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 21:38:13

Graeme wrote:35 years of energy efficiency progress, 35 more years of energy efficiency opportunity

From 1980 to 2014, US energy use increased by 26%; however, over this same period, gross domestic product (GDP) increased 149%. “Energy intensity,” defined as energy use per real dollar of GDP, is a common approach for combining these two variables. US energy intensity has declined from 12.1 thousand Btu per dollar in 1980, to 6.1 in 2014, a 50% improvement.

And yet, we are still roasting the planet and polluting it to an extent that seriously threatens our existence, while doing very little about it (in a meaningful time-frame), courtesy of our massive burning of fossil fuels.

Just think how much efficiency could have improved with a meaningful and escalating tax on burning fossil fuels (even a dime a year increase starting in 1980 (by which time the problems with supply and pollution were becoming apparent) would have cumulatively meant a lot. But of course we can't do that -- it might be inconvenient and slow economic growth a bit.

Somehow, I don't think we should be breaking our arms patting ourselves on the back due to our modest increases in energy efficiency.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 22:08:42

The Next 35 Years
While much progress has been made, there are large and cost-effective energy efficiency opportunities that collectively can reduce 2050 energy use by 40-60% relative to current forecasts. Opportunities include:

Improved systems integration, including use of sensors, controls, “big data” and computer chips to monitor and control energy use in real time, a set of opportunities that has been labeled “intelligent efficiency;”

Improvements to the many types of equipment, such as computers, televisions, and elevators that collectively account for growing miscellaneous energy loads;

Evolution of new building design to zero net energy and ultra-low energy buildings;

Industrial process improvements;

Increased use of advanced vehicles including electric, hybrid, and self-driving vehicles;

Taking building energy retrofits to a much higher level, including both more retrofits and deeper retrofits (greater savings per building);

Improving the efficiency of the electric grid through expanding use of combined heat and power systems, improving power plant efficiency, reducing transmission and distribution losses, expanding use of other distributed generation resources, and improving grid control and integration;

Promoting sustainable development and transportation patterns; and

Working with consumers and businesses to change wasteful energy-using behaviors.

If we aggressively pursue these efficiency opportunities, we can roughly double the rate of efficiency improvement in the next 35 years relative to the past 35 years, and reduce 2050 energy use to half of current forecasts. To do this we need to take our efforts to promote energy efficiency to a new level, which means both doing it better and doing it smarter. Our efforts should:

Harness and transform markets
Make efficiency a key strategy for the utility of the future
Expand federal, state, and local policy efforts

The new report discusses these strategies in more detail, but take a look at the infographic below to see a snapshot of the past and future 35 years of energy efficiency. Our nation’s history of success with energy efficiency shows us what efficiency can do, and provides important lessons that will help guide us to leave a positive economic and environmental legacy for future generations.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 04:19:06

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Somehow, I don't think we should be breaking our arms patting ourselves on the back due to our modest increases in energy efficiency.

Maybe so, but just think about how bad things would be if we were still using 1970s cars & living in houses with 1970s insulation standards. Using this metric, we're a lot better than we used to be.
Still a long way to go though.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 05:32:03

Wonder how the economics of turning Earth into Mars stack up? That would save on all those pesky rockets & apparently one of our posters here knows all about biodomes. No artificial gravity required, apparently we have some good fights going there, but haven't worked out how to destroy that, yet.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y320-U151 using Tapatalk
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 07:09:21

donlan - "...we're a lot better than we used to be." True...from an efficiency standpoint. OTOH in the mid 70's the world was consuming about 55 mm bopd. The alternative statement: today the world is more efficiently using the 65% increase in consumption then we were 40 years ago.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:18:48

dolanbaker wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:Somehow, I don't think we should be breaking our arms patting ourselves on the back due to our modest increases in energy efficiency.

Maybe so, but just think about how bad things would be if we were still using 1970s cars & living in houses with 1970s insulation standards. Using this metric, we're a lot better than we used to be.
Still a long way to go though.

I don't disagree. Somehow, if our metric of "success" though has to be "it could be worse", that doesn't give us a passing grade, or even close. As Rock pointed out above (I didn't state it, but implied it re pollution and AGW), net we keep consuming more -- much more, over time, far outrunning any net efficiency gains.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:45:19

SeaGypsy wrote:Wonder how the economics of turning Earth into Mars stack up? That would save on all those pesky rockets & apparently one of our posters here knows all about biodomes. No artificial gravity required, apparently we have some good fights going there, but haven't worked out how to destroy that, yet.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y320-U151 using Tapatalk

Theoretically you could do that by building a space gun and launching compressed air high enough up to be stripped away by the solar wind. The solid shells would fall back to Earth like meteors but over time say a few hundred years you could thin out the air to Mars levels.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Conservation & Efficiency