Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

+21000 on the Dow

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Moderator: Pops

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:54:35

Hawkcreek wrote:
pstarr wrote:onlooker, I see this either of two ways: the investor really believes the artificial intelligence/robotic/tesla hype and believes in the Singularity; or they are feeling particularly apocalyptic and are just cruising to their doom with a big old 'f#ck-all' attitude.

Since central banks own 50% of all global equities, there may not be a slowdown any time soon. They may just keep throwing debt created money at the market to keep it going up, and the end result will play out as massive inflation, to be paid for by the peons.
http://secretsofthefed.com/is-the-fed-using-a-loophole-to-prop-up-the-stock-markets-through-the-swiss-central-bank/

Or they may manipulate the System into collapse and repossess and foreclose landed and other properties that were exposed in health, retirement, real estate, and life insurance equities. When price disclosure gets going after a crash, most will find themselves in the poor house as massive unemployment will ensue. The Banks will swoop in like vultures to take control of properties and assets
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
User avatar
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:43:19

onlooker wrote:Or they may manipulate the System into collapse and repossess and foreclose landed and other properties that were exposed in health, retirement, real estate, and life insurance equities. When price disclosure gets going after a crash, most will find themselves in the poor house as massive unemployment will ensue. The Banks will swoop in like vultures to take control of properties and assets

Yep, that is another valid direction.
Either way, the peons will go back to being true, acknowledged, peons.
Your local lord will have the power of life or death over you.
And at some point, the circle will turn the other way.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 13:06:52

Maybe thus can be a catalyst
http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e44524.htm

The Collapse Of The Western Fiat Monetary System May Have Begun
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
User avatar
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 14:27:48

onlooker wrote:Maybe thus can be a catalyst
http://www.informationclearinghouse.inf ... e44524.htm

The Collapse Of The Western Fiat Monetary System May Have Begun

Are you believing this stuff?
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7578
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 14:40:11

vtsnowedin wrote:Are you believing this stuff?

Most of it looks pretty accurate to me. What part(s) don't you believe?
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:10:19

Hawkcreek wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Are you believing this stuff?

Most of it looks pretty accurate to me. What part(s) don't you believe?

It is actually probably because V, does not like the source :razz:
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
User avatar
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:35:26

As soon as a piece mentions the "Rothschild family." I know it is just another gold bug conspiracy theory ad.
Go buy some gold backed Russian rubles and stash them in your safe. I'm sure you will make a bundle on them. :razz:
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7578
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Cog » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:41:13

LOL if you aren't in the stock market right now you are practically giving money away.

Gold LOL
User avatar
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter
 
Posts: 9125
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Metro-East Illinois

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:44:36

vtsnowedin wrote:As soon as a piece mentions the "Rothschild family." I know it is just another gold bug conspiracy theory ad.
Go buy some gold backed Russian rubles and stash them in your safe. I'm sure you will make a bundle on them. :razz:

Stack a bunch of US hundred dollar bills in your safe for about 10 years, and let me know how much they are worth in year 2000 purchasing power, when you take them out to spend.
I know, I know, that is part of the conspiracy -
We absolutely have no appreciable inflation. :roll:
Our currency is perfectly stable.
The private banks that make up the Fed are just looking out for our welfare.
Say that over and over, and then click your heels together three times.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:48:23

Or as the Indian proverb says "When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money"
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
User avatar
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:49:05

Cog wrote:LOL if you aren't in the stock market right now you are practically giving money away.

Gold LOL

The article was referring to gold backed currency, not Gold LOL.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:00:58

Hawkcreek wrote:
Cog wrote:LOL if you aren't in the stock market right now you are practically giving money away.

Gold LOL

The article was referring to gold backed currency, not Gold LOL.

That is just two stages of the same disease. like chicken pox and shingles.
I bought some precious metal the other day. It was steel, painted John Deere green and will last longer then I will. :)
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7578
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:12:55

vtsnowedin wrote: That is just two stages of the same disease. like chicken pox and shingles.

Do you have any back up for that, or is it just supposed to be a cocktail party move-on line?
And if gold backed currency is a disease, what type of terminal illness is non-gold backed currency?
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:22:59

Hawkcreek wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: That is just two stages of the same disease. like chicken pox and shingles.

Do you have any back up for that, or is it just supposed to be a cocktail party move-on line?
And if gold backed currency is a disease, what type of terminal illness is non-gold backed currency?

The fact is there is just not enough precious metals in the world to serve as the currency for seven billion people. Just the wear and tear of coin rubbing against coin would bankrupt us. We have moved on to better forms of money most of which are just entries in bank accounts and computers where wear and tear or the cost of mintage is not an issue.
That is not to say that deficit spending can't devalue a currency but bad governments used to bankrupt countries even when they were on a gold standard. Balanced budgets are the goal. Buying gold does not help.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7578
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 17:05:30

vtsnowedin wrote:The fact is there is just not enough precious metals in the world to serve as the currency for seven billion people. Just the wear and tear of coin rubbing against coin would bankrupt us. We have moved on to better forms of money most of which are just entries in bank accounts and computers where wear and tear or the cost of mintage is not an issue.
That is not to say that deficit spending can't devalue a currency but bad governments used to bankrupt countries even when they were on a gold standard. Balanced budgets are the goal. Buying gold does not help.

So why couldn't we use electronic analogs for a base currency that is precious metals?

The metals could sit safely in vaults/repositories and back the electronic analogs.

Politicians couldn't arbitrarily inflate it away or print it out of thin air by the $trillions.

It wouldn't magically cure deficit spending, but it wouldn't allow politicians to steal all our money via inflation -- which with paper currencies they ALWAYS do -- it's only a question of the speed.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 17:20:30

vtsnowedin wrote:The fact is there is just not enough precious metals in the world to serve as the currency for seven billion people. Just the wear and tear of coin rubbing against coin would bankrupt us. We have moved on to better forms of money most of which are just entries in bank accounts and computers where wear and tear or the cost of mintage is not an issue.
That is not to say that deficit spending can't devalue a currency but bad governments used to bankrupt countries even when they were on a gold standard. Balanced budgets are the goal. Buying gold does not help.

Well, at least you have your opinion to back up your opinion. That is better than some.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 17:37:04

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:The fact is there is just not enough precious metals in the world to serve as the currency for seven billion people. Just the wear and tear of coin rubbing against coin would bankrupt us. We have moved on to better forms of money most of which are just entries in bank accounts and computers where wear and tear or the cost of mintage is not an issue.
That is not to say that deficit spending can't devalue a currency but bad governments used to bankrupt countries even when they were on a gold standard. Balanced budgets are the goal. Buying gold does not help.

So why couldn't we use electronic analogs for a base currency that is precious metals?

The metals could sit safely in vaults/repositories and back the electronic analogs.

Politicians couldn't arbitrarily inflate it away or print it out of thin air by the $trillions.

It wouldn't magically cure deficit spending, but it wouldn't allow politicians to steal all our money via inflation -- which with paper currencies they ALWAYS do -- it's only a question of the speed.

You and I would never know how much gold was actually in the vaults or if it was real or gold plated lead bricks.
I don't think you can peg a currency to one rare substance. It has to be a composite of all the useful things in the GDP of a country. A dollar is worth exactly what you can buy from a willing seller for a dollar. $49 / barrel oil. $30K automobiles, A root canal and crown for $800, $3.50/lb hamburger. etc.etc.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7578
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 17:38:29

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/us-markets.html
Nasdaq closes at a record high ahead of major tech earnings
The irrational exuberance continues
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
User avatar
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7559
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 18:00:42

onlooker wrote:http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/us-markets.html
Nasdaq closes at a record high ahead of major tech earnings
The irrational exuberance continues

And that is just on the promise of a tax cut. Let them actually pass it and have Trump sign it into law and they will be off to the races.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 7578
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 02:00:00

Re: +21000 on the Dow

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 18:02:28

Hawkcreek wrote:
Newfie wrote:That's why I keep saying the percieved wealth of the 1% does not really exist.

If you have control of something, you effectively own it.
If you control all worthwhile assets, including manufacturing, housing, food, toys, etc, you are the lord, and all the rest are your servants.


But those 5 are not "worthwhile assets", they are at best intellectual property. And in the case of Facebook, it's simply an advertising platform. Should we see a lo k up of the global economic system they would all fall flat ina heart beat.
User avatar
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 03:00:00
Location: US East Coast

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests